Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which are the tricky Messiers?

kerrylewis

I will have to make a special Sagittarius trip next summer I reckon. Somewhere south and dark. I like Rory's 'scope and a bottle of beer in a farmer's field' approach! And DD - amazing that you had that view from the Smoke. Maybe Hampstead Heath and a bootle of beer........

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M109 I agree is a tough cookie. Haven't tallied up my list yet but think I am somewhere about 25% through the list. Recently got M97 The Owl Nebula to enough of an extent to say it was in the bag. I was really keen on Scorpio and Sagittarius last summer too but the trees are high round these parts!

I will have to make a special Sagittarius trip next summer I reckon. Somewhere south and dark. I like Rory's 'scope and a bottle of beer in a farmer's field' approach! And DD - amazing that you had that view from the Smoke. Maybe Hampstead Heath and a bootle of beer........

Kerry

Hampstead Heath looks south over London! Wonderful view from Parliament Hill, but pants for looking at Sagittarius. On the other hand, the bottle of beer would easily make up for it! I'm trying to work out if there's any way I can get somewhere darker next August for a better look at that area of the sky.

DD

Actually, I meant to say M108 galaxy near the Owl.  I still cannot see this one.

Last night I decided to have a look through my atlas in regards to how many Messiers I've seen.   I've browsed a lot more than I gave myself credit for thinking of starting that list now, like you've done, Kerry.  Might have to go on a holiday to finish the list, though  :cool:

It's interesting to keep a running list though I've so far resisted getting into a frantic chase. I'm up to 68 now and it's interesting to see the ones I've missed. Apart from the Sagittarius blighter a it's mainly the ones best seen in winter because I only started counting in about April. So I'm hoping to add to the list in the next couple of months

Out of curiosity (from anyone who keeps one in a notebook), is your list sequentially numbered and you tick them off, or do you just add to a growing list as and when you view? I've starting out and the full list is grouped into the constellations as this seemed easier.

Archived