Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary eyepiece, recommendations please

rawhead

I would like to maximise my view of Mars over the next few weeks. I am currently using the 15mm eyepiece that came with my scope (Tal-2M) I am getting flashes of detail, no sign of the polar caps though…

I don’t want a fantastic quality eyepiece that my scope can’t take advantage of. I don’t want a cheapee…

Can anyone recommended the perfect choice? :?

(I don’t wear glasses)

Thanks

The old x4 eh? REALLY good piece that. Ace with the 15mm on lunar on a good night 8)

Giving a mag of x240 a 5mm orthoscopic would be a fantastic planetary ep for your scope I reckon. Although at f8 any old plossl or super plossl should work pretty well.

The old x4 eh? REALLY good piece that. Ace with the 15mm on lunar on a good night 8)

Giving a mag of x240 a 5mm orthoscopic would be a fantastic planetary ep for your scope I reckon. Although at f8 any old plossl or super plossl should work pretty well.

Thanks again Matthew. Will keep my eye open for a 5mm orthoscopic...

I concur with the stainless one.

I would be looking in the region of 200x or more. A 6mm would give 200x, a 5mm gives 240x. Orthos will give a great view in your 6". I've got some and they're nice.

Andy.

Good point the chaps above make about the TV 8mm, lovely though it is, not really giving enough power. Got carried away by my enthusiasm for AL Nagler's products and forgot the point of the question :icon_jokercolor:

Telescope House (www.telescopehouse.com) are still doing their 5mm Orthoscopics for £30 in their bargains section. They are reputed to be fine eyepieces - might be worth considering.

Also the Baader Genuine Orthoscopics that FLO sells get rave reviews and they are not too extortionate at £65 a go.

John

my suggestion would be either baader ortho 5mm or a takahashi 5mm LE

whilst i haven't used a baader ortho i gather from users they are very sharp and on a par with the university HD ortho, which i have used and is very sharp.

i haven't heard a bad thing about the tak LE's . my impressions of them were very sharp high contrast with no glare and very dark background.

a used example would be around £65/80

check out www.excelsis.com under eyepiece reviews.

mike

Have you looked at the Williams Optics SPL range? The 6mm or 3mm (the latter if you have a low LP site) might fit the bill at £69 each. I have the 12.5mm which I use with a f/1500mm Mak and get some very good views. I like the idea of the lower mm jobs but the 6mm would give x250 and the 3mm x500 which with my light polluted sky would be pushing ones luck. :icon_jokercolor:

CW

An orthoscopic was the right choice for clarity and brightness. I have three BAADER orthos and these are superb. Short-focus orthos are better than short-focus Plossls because they have better eye-relief.

An ortho's eye-relief is the same as its focal length, but for a Plossl it's only 70% of the focal length. I have two TELEVUE Plossls at 25mm focus and 15mm; I wouldn't have them shorter than this.

Archived