Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

Opticstar AG-130M COOLAIR SUCCESS !!!

Managed to get out with the above last night, I can't tell you how chuffed I am with the set-up !

Spent yesterday afternoon getting everything on the lappy, making sure its all communicating properly, which it did no probs.

It was quite cloudy here last night but Vega and Deneb and a few other bits were just about visible so at 11pm I took it all out.

With the mount tracking Vega I used Etamcap to see what was on the sensor, there was Vega ! did a bit of refocussing and switched over to PHD. I let the program go through its calibration using Vega which took about 10 mins (is this normal ?) then came the magic green crosshair and a guiding caption at the bottom of the box.

I could'nt believe that I had got all this new gear up and running in about 15 mins, especially when the star was barely visible to the eye !

I really can't wait to get to use all this properly, possibly tonight looking at the forecast.

The other advantage of this cam is that I can use it with the 3XED barlow and get some decent planetary at some point, another learning curve.....

Thanks to all who have helped out with my other posts regarding guiding through the last week, your info is invaluable.

Lee

Managed to get out with the above last night, I can't tell you how chuffed I am with the set-up !

Spent yesterday afternoon getting everything on the lappy, making sure its all communicating properly, which it did no probs.

It was quite cloudy here last night but Vega and Deneb and a few other bits were just about visible so at 11pm I took it all out.

With the mount tracking Vega I used Etamcap to see what was on the sensor, there was Vega ! did a bit of refocussing and switched over to PHD. I let the program go through its calibration using Vega which took about 10 mins (is this normal ?) then came the magic green crosshair and a guiding caption at the bottom of the box.

I could'nt believe that I had got all this new gear up and running in about 15 mins, especially when the star was barely visible to the eye !

I really can't wait to get to use all this properly, possibly tonight looking at the forecast.

The other advantage of this cam is that I can use it with the 3XED barlow and get some decent planetary at some point, another learning curve.....

Thanks to all who have helped out with my other posts regarding guiding through the last week, your info is invaluable.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I am glad that it worked out fine, Peter at Opticstar is a good friend and I hated it when I saw some negative reviews of the 130. PHD takes about 5 to 10 miuntes to calibrate depending on the mount, the settings and how well the scope is balanced and all that, but the settings are the most important, you can tell how well it is doing after calibration by enabling the graph under tools a flat one is good, a jumpy one is not. The standard settings are fine for a guide scope of about 400~450 mm FL, any shorter or longer then you'd have to adjust. I would keep an eye on the setting for "Star mass tolerance " in the brain section as this causes the most havoc when is set too low ( sensitive ) I have set mine to 0.7, Hope we get a clear sky tonight as the forcast for last night sucked as you have mentioned, I could just about see Vega, Altair and Arcturus with the naked eye so no imaging . The camera is sensitive and with a fast F ratio scope a 2X barlow should be ok for planetary.

Regards,

A.G