SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Tyne and Wear!

MyRomeo

Hi there! Just joined so thought I would take a moment to introduce myself.

I'm Mark,I'm from Tyne and Wear and have been interested in astronomy for a year or two now. Up until today I've only really observed the night sky with my eyes and camera but today I took the leap and bought my first telescope, a celestron astromaster 130eq. I know it's not the best of the best but it was a bargain at £50 and should serve to introduce me to the night sky, some planets and the moon. Not sure how it will perform but I am sure for my needs it will be fine (until I want bigger!)

I've had a night at kielder observatory last year with the wife which we both loved so to be able to observe from my own garden should be great!

as a keen electrician and time served engineer I've also built myself a motorised barn door tracker for snapping nice long exposures with my dslr, unfortunately this was my spring project and I haven't had a suitable night to test it out yet!

anyhow, I look forward to getting to know you all and perhaps meeting up with some member at any future events.

m

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the lounge

and welcome to this great hobby, you will

enjoy the views with your scope, and if you

need advice just ask, help is always here.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

If you want to pop along to any of the Sunderland Astro Society nights, we meet at the Wetlands centre in Washington on the second and third Sunday of the month from 7pm. The second Sunday is a workshop night to chat, talk astronomy, problem solve gear and observe if it's good. The third Sunday is a lecture night. We usually head to Derwent reservoir, our nearest dark site, near the time of the new moon, and have quite a few private and public observing sessions around the area too.

The meetings start again in September and run through until May.

Thanks guys!

AAF, I might just take you up on that offer. I've looked at Sunderland astro and South Shields astro before but see nothing much is happening at this time of year. I'll sure get myself along come September tho.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

.......nothing much is happening at this time of year......

We do meet on occasions over the Summer for solar observing sessions, an occasional trip ( this year was the space centre ) and there's a Starbeque at Dewent on August 10th in the hope of seeing the Persieds meteor shower.

If you're on Facebook, we have a fairly active page there where observing sessions etc are announced, along with many people posting their astro pictures. Just search for Sunderland Astronomical Society.

Well I had a little play tonight in my horribly light polluted garden and managed to locate one star with the scope, Arcturus according to my phone! I could see Saturn with the naked eye but couldn't find it with the scope, mainly because it was pretty close to a street lamp and part because the battery in the red dot finder is flat! I'll pick a new one up tomorrow.

regarding the red dot finder, any tips on using it?!

I did did learn a lot about the scope tonight tho, how the focus responds to adjustments, how the eq3 mount is easiest manipulated.

I was also pleased that I had the scope set up and usable within 5 minutes or so with a very rough polar align seeming close enough for general observing.

Archived