Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Gasman

Using Arduino for screen for flats?

Hi folks

I`ve been thinking of a way to make a light panel to create flats using my 120mm refractor. I have an arduino uno board with quite a few components and led`s and wondering if I can utilize this to create a light panel?. I`d like to use quite a few led`s to cover a 120mm diameter area so maybe 13 or so to get an even light and I`d also like to make it dimmable to aim for 1/2 to 1/3 full well lumination. These led`s would be behind a diffuse cover of some sort.

I`ve found some basic code but that will only control 3 led`s, is this doable with an Arduino uno board please?. I`ve also got a raspberry pi knocking about somewhere but maybe the Arduino would be easier to set up?.

Thanks

Steve

To be honest, you really don't need a computer for what you're planning. Why not just three sets of LEDs, each connected to power with a separate switch, so you can turn on one, two or three sets at once?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I did think something like to start with then wondered if seperate led`s turned off might make the light from the screen uneven so I think the whole lot would need to be controlled at once this then led me to the Arduino which has been sat on a shelf since I bought it :smiley:

cheers

Steve

I was imagining the three strands interwoven, with whatever pattern of three sets you'll end up controlling with your Arduino. But don't get me wrong: as an Arduino tinkerer myself I well understand why you'd want to develop a more fun solution!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers for that Ian, yes been reading up on the Arduino seems a handy piece of kit and maybe an overkill for this project but WTH all adds to the fun :grin: It would be cushty to use it with my spectroscopy somehow but must learn to crawl first !

Cheers

Steve

My first proper Arduino project was also for astronomy, when I built a device to trigger sequences of long-exposure photos on my camera by controlling an infra-red LED remote control. That was great fun.