SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Levelling Feet for Dobsonian Telescopes

Key

Anyone know of a good UK source for the equivalent "Set of Three (3) Leveling Feet for Dobsonian Telescopes" sold by Opticsmart.com in the USA? They come with strong steel brackets so it's a complete package - they do seem a bit pricey though and that's not even including the overseas postage/import tax, etc.. so a home-grown solution/supplier would be very useful. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I repurposed some ikea wardrobe feet. Worked well, but I need to make a stronger base, my initial attempt was a little flimsy, it works but give rise to a little wobble.

Mulling over some ideas at the mement, would be interested in hearing what you are planning.

I made up a triangular wheeled levelling base for my Dob, wheels and feet bought of a well known auction site.

The wood was some 6" x 2" I had laying around, the feet were extended by welding on some 12mm threaded rod

and the knobs were procured from some old machinery in work.

post-12367-0-36758000-1376256044_thumb.j

post-12367-0-78764500-1376256719_thumb.j

The triangular base has holes drilled to accept the existing Dob feet to stop it sliding off. It makes moving the scope into the garden a breeze, and if I'm driving out to a dark site (seldom level) I can separate the base from the levelling base to pack it easily in the car.

Remeasured the wood, its actually 120mm x 32mm, here is the complete base on its own...

post-12367-0-82377500-1376323361_thumb.j

There is a layer of thin self adhesive pimpled rubber (think table tennis bat) just to protect the Dob base.

Archived