SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to persuade local council/authority to reduce street lighting?

I live right in the centre of town. Fortunately I don't stargaze from here, I go to my parents house in another county.

But, despite there already being an orange glow of light everywhere around the building (an old mill) and everywhere else in the vicinity, the residents committee has actually asked for more, yes you got that, more lighting!

Unbelievable.

:mad:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thought I had that could also work, if you email each Council and say "In accordance with the Environmental Information Regulations I would like to know if xxxx Council is responsible for the installation, maintenance and running costs of the street lighting on xxxxxxx road [put exact location data here]."

They than have a statutory obligation to tell you within a certain time frame or provide a valid reason for not doing so (there shouldn't be any for street lighting enquiries). If they all say no, refer it to the ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) and they can assist in forcing the authority to make sure they have searched properly. Parish Councils are also covered by this I believe. The ICO can levy fines for non-compliance with the Regulations which is an incentive for Authority's and Public Bodies to pull their fingers out. Might take a while but you should get there in the end. Letting your local Councillor know you've had to resort to this to find out can only help.

Yes, I used to be a Freedom of Information Officer too.

Exciting career thus far.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that we have Nova Delphinus 2013, I wonder if that may make local council/authorities have a re-think about streetlighting.

I doubt mine. They say it is a main road and it is dangerous without them. I use the M4 to/from LHR and at least two sections i know of (excluding junction 8/9 to 10 which has none) there are lights and they are off from about 2330-0500.

What is more dangerous. Driving at 30mph on a main road in the dark or 70mph on a motorway in the dark?

What is more dangerous. Driving at 30mph on a main road in the dark or 70mph on a motorway in the dark?

The main road, motorways are seperated carriageways and have very few joining roads and cars from the opposite direction cannot cross over your path to get access into a road. Suspect cars can also park on your main road and they cannot on a motorway and people cannot cycle or walk along the motorway.

But, despite there already being an orange glow of light everywhere around the building (an old mill) and everywhere else in the vicinity, the residents committee has actually asked for more, yes you got that, more lighting!

Unbelievable.

:mad:

I recently had to have dealings with our local community police officer... We somehow got onto the subject of stargazing and light pollution, and she said that people (and its generally the older populations) ask for more lighting because it makes them feel safer in their homes at night - because they think that burglars won't try to break into houses on well lit streets. HOWEVER, she reports that they are mistaken. Burglars target well lit streets because they look less suspicious hanging around them, than on dark streets where they will need to use a torch! Maybe you should point this out to the residents committee...

I recently had to have dealings with our local community police officer... We somehow got onto the subject of stargazing and light pollution, and she said that people (and its generally the older populations) ask for more lighting because it makes them feel safer in their homes at night - because they think that burglars won't try to break into houses on well lit streets. HOWEVER, she reports that they are mistaken. Burglars target well lit streets because they look less suspicious hanging around them, than on dark streets where they will need to use a torch! Maybe you should point this out to the residents committee...

This seems to be pretty well backed up by the evidence I've seen. I know that the local police say that the only purpose security lights genuinely serve is to make it easier for burglars to see what they're doing. Noise generally seems to be a far better deterrent.

Security however is about perception more than reality, and for many people the two are separated by a gap you could drive a bus through. In the dark.

James

I do smile at how it can be cheaper to replace the lights and leave them on all night , rather than keeping the ones you have at the moment and turning them off for the time that the majority are asleep.

Creative accountancy ??

If the doomsayers are to be believed it might just be a question of waiting a couple of years until the councils can't afford to run streetlights regardless of whether they're newer more efficient models or not.

James

Hi Philip R, I do hope JamesF is right with his prophecy. Practically you could contact your ward councillor for the authority having highways responsibility and state your case. There is a lot of information supporting the turning off/dimming of lights but I doubt there is support in the community but you never know. In some places the parish council is part of the decision making in respect of turning off lights in a village etc. You could try and jump on the shirt tail of the environment lobby/carbon reduction etc. If you win the lottery big time then sponsor the local council and order them to take all the lights out. I hope you have some luck! Cheers, Steve

My backyard would be OK for AP were it not for one Streetlight. If only I coudl get the council to put a screen on it to keep it out of my yard,,,,

It's not keeping you awake at night because of light getting into the bedrooms then? I'm sure if you check you'll find it is :D

James

Yes it is a pity that this is the actual state of affairs and the issues aren't being discussed by the local councils and the media. I can't agree more with the pertinent comments of Rockrae76. Sometime ago the lead bay roof of a neighbour (and relative) was stolen in the night. The nearest street light is at the end of their front garden and must have helped the thieves no end in their work and keep a look out for the law. We have also had a knife murder and then another street fight all in exceptionally well lit public areas-they can't be better lit. I hope the facts somehow get through all the barriers and sense comes out on top. Hey, maybe someone with a national profile in astronomy might get above the parapet and promote this stuff. I'm off my soap box now. Cheers, Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I am a newb going through all the "Getting Started" topics ...

Happy to report that Devon County Council which looks after street lighting in Torridge area is doing "part night lighting"

See: http://www.devon.gov...ghtlighting.pdf

So not only do I live in one of the darkest spost in England, but after 0:30 am the lights are totally off :grin:

I am a newb going through all the "Getting Started" topics ...

Happy to report that Devon County Council which looks after street lighting in Torridge area is doing "part night lighting"

See: http://www.devon.gov...ghtlighting.pdf

So not only do I live in one of the darkest spost in England, but after 0:30 am the lights are totally off :grin:

Nice! My skies aren't too bad but my cousin used to live just outside Torrington and the view from the Common was incredible compared with the view from the generally light-polluted south east. :Envy:

Archived