SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

12V DC Step Down Regulator for Arduino Project

SnakeyJ

Can anyone offer advice or pointers for making a DC Stepdown Voltage Regulator?

I would like to take a nominal 13V DC supply from a regulated transformer or Power Tank and provide 5V DC 1A (to power 2-3 arduino nano V3s) and 2V DC 6A outputs (which will provide power for a small TEC, via a Logic N Channel Mosfet - FQP30N06L).

I'm keen to avoid too many wires, so ideally this would fit in a single project box with the controllers and not generate too much heat - but it could also be two small project boxes mounted back to back.

Actually it might be useful to have a little more 5V to power a small USB hub.

Edited by SnakeyJ

The traditional way of making your own is to use a generic 7805 type regulator. However, these days there are cheap chinese switch-mode boards available that are better, adjustable, easier to use, more power efficient (and so don't give off heat that has to be dissipated) and that work over a larger voltage range. It's probably not worth building one for yourself. Just search ebay for LM2596 and you'll see a load on offer.

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, these look extremely useful for the arduino supply and are probably cheaper than the cost of components to build yourself. However, I did have a good look yesterday, but couldn't see one of these rated to supply the 2V 6A for the TEC - max current appears to be 2-3A without heatsink or 4-5A with heat sink fitted. As the TEC will be drawing quite a high current I will need to source something with similar with a higher rating. Shouldn't be too hard now you've set me on the right track.

Many thanks for the advice and pointer - Jake

Jake,

Pete is quite right with the 'older' components such as std 7800 series regulators BUT... they do work and the component I use if the current consumption isnt an issue is the old Variable voltage regulators LM317 series. 317's go up to 1.5A but the LM338 deliverers 5A. Lots of suppliers for these inc Technobots etc. Cheap! and only need two caps and two resistors to get a voltage range between 1.2 to 32V within the input range 4 to 35V

Boyd

• Like 2

As had been said you could use the LM317 with a pass transistor to up the current, or you could use the LM338, but if you are going to drop from 13V down to around 2V at 6A that's a lot of power going to waste ( around 66W :Envy: :Envy: )!!! You're going to need a good heatsink and it will keep you warm on those cold winter's nights :grin: :grin: .

I'd go with the switch-mode boards as they use a voltage buck mechanism that is much more efficient and generates far less heat than a straight forward voltage regulator.

Hope this helps,

Alan

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Rocketek Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger Socket, Dual USB Car Power Outlet Waterproof Cigarette Lighter Adapter 36W Fast Charge with LED Voltmeter for 12V/24V Boat Motorcycle ATV Bus Truck SUV https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TKKK76F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_91DZDbH8N60G1

These can be found for alot cheaper on the slow boat from China and look great in your car too

• Like 1