Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dithering in Maxim - what settings to use?

Hi there, I want to try out dithering to see if it adds any benefits to my data. Maxim offers this under the Autosave options. I tried this out last week using the Dither Via Mount option, and with the Maximum Deviation set to 0.5 pixel - however, the PHD trace then went pretty haywire with fairly sharp and high continuous see-sawing, so I stopped.

Can I just ask, if anybody similarly uses Maxim to dither, what options and settings do you use?

Thanks for your help on this,

Martin

I use Maxim to dither and use the dither via mount option and set the dither to 1.5 pixels. The mount moves as expected. I set a 70 second delay between each sub and it returns to a normal trace by the time it guides again.

When you say PHD trace, you mean the guide graph in Maxim? You don't use PHD at all.

Aha - perhaps this is what I did wrong Sara.

Yes I used PHD for guiding, but for dithering to work is it therefore crucial that the actual guiding must go via Maxim instead even though I ask it to dither via the mount and not the guider? In terms of the delay, I don't see a delay feature for the dither, only for the actual download of the subs, is this the one you refer to?

Thanks,

Martin

Yes, you need to guide through Maxim in order to dither and capture through it as well. On the main sequence menu, there's a delay option between subs, this is the one that I have set to 70 seconds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Martin - I've just started using Maxim but use the dither via guider option at 1.5 or 2.0 pixels - works great. Use 30 secs between exposures may push this to 40 secs as a couple of times its just been settling as the next exposure begins

Archived