SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Maxvision 34mm

PorkyB

I know the 24mm has been very popular.

Have a quick search, I seem to remember it being reviewed as very good by those that bought it and the Meade equivalent is very highly thought of.

2 things, its very big and heavy, and (if it bothers you at all, I know it's a much debated topic) the exit pupil will be approaching the magic 7mm in your 'scope.

Cheers

It's a very nice lens - i had the meade 34 version but as my eyepieces are quite light, found it out of sync with them. It's around 800g but not that heavy really. For £100 there nothing else to match it at double the price.

andrew

That's pretty much on the limit in terms of exit pupil (34mm/F5=6.8mm) and for my liking (and this is a personal preference) I think I would find the 23x magnification a little low.

However, the Maxvisions I have seem to live up to their billing as Meade SWAs minus the sticker and mine are very, very sharp to the edges. My 24mm is comfortably sharp enough at the edge to remind me why I bought a coma corrector for the 300p and seems mercifully free of astigmatism or geometric distortion on the moon/sun - I haven't had a dark/clear enough night to comment otherwise.

I'd definitely recommend running the figures on the 24mm MV for your scope.

Russell

I think in view of what Russell has said, maybe the 28mm may be a better choice, I didn't know the scope details and X23 is a little on the low side and the exit pupil is getting large. However my first statement in line with Andrew stands, the 34mm is a very fine eyepiece.

The 28mm was my favourite out of the 6 in the set I had and would possibly serve you better. To pick up on Russells suggestion, there isn't anything wron with that either, it is all down to what you want.

Alan

Hiya Porky,

Seems a bit strange a Pig calling someone Porky :grin:

I have the 34mm Maxi and it is a great eyepiece. to give you a good idea of the field of view the double clusters fit inside perfectly and the stars are crisp bright and pinpoint :smiley:

Another great use I have discovered is that it is pretty perfect for setting the goto with. :laugh:

I would not hesitate in recommending it especially for the price it is. :laugh:

I'm sure it's a good eyepiece but in Pig's F/10 it's delivering a perfectly usable 3.4mm exit pupil whereas in the OP's F/5 that will be 6.8mm. As Russell says, thats a pretty large exit pupil and could be a bit much, depending on your age and mix pupil dilation.

Personally I tend to feel around 30mm is the maximum really useful focal length for low power in an F/5 scope with 20mm delivering darker background skies under typical moderately light polluted conditions.

Your mileage may vary though :smiley:

• 2 years later...

Hi there - wondering how you got on with that EP and whether you went for the 28 or the 34?

I am also considering a 2inch max vision EP but wondering if I should go for 1.25 televue plossl instead?

For my skywatcher 250px.

Comments welcome! :-)

I reckon the 28mm would be a more effective eyepiece than a 34mm in your F/4.7 250PX. The exit pupil generated by the 28mm would be just under 6mm in diameter which is a useful maxmum size while the 7.23mm that the 34mm would produce is likely to be wider than your dilated pupil so not as effective.

I've owned several TV plossls and they are nice optically. However, the Maxvision 28mm with its 68 degree field will in my opinion give much more impressive views with your scope. Even if not sharp right to the edge, the sharp portion will still probably exceed the whole field of the plossls and the impression of the view will be much more satisfying.

Dave

I had a bit of a change of plan and ended up buying the Maxvision 16mm and 24mm.  I thought the exit pupil of the larger EPs would be too much for my 50+ year old eyes.

I am very happy with them, they are my most used eyepieces.  I recommend them to anyone, the views are lovely and crisp. 

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Radec said:

Hi All - a bit late to the party, but any opinions how this ES 34mm would compare with my WO 40mm (70deg fov) in my CPC800

Radec

Hi,

In the F/10 CPC800 I doubt there would be much difference apart from the slightly smaller true field of view that the Maxvision 34 would deliver.

Archived