Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion?

hi, the baader hyperions are nice eps, and there modular design is nice and are great on slow scopes like sct/maks, but off axis on a fast scope like yours, the outer edge will be pants. for the money you could get a new tv plossl 8mm which will be great for your scope

I have the 10 and the 21mm , both of which I love using in a Dob. There's a good wide fov and not much coma to the edges at f6.0.

The Meade 4000 series will not disappoint and may be picked up used at a third of a new Hyperion. The 6.4 will be at your limit and will give x188 which you'll be able to enjoy in the best conditions.

An 8 mm will give you x150 , just right for the Moon and you'll pick up planetary details, under

clear skies,

Nick.

What's your budget and do you wear glasses.

A TV plossl would be lovely, but the eye relief starts getting a bit tight (6mm) at 8mm FL.

There's 8.8mm ES 82o for £85 in the Classifieds on here which you'll be able to view in 9 posts time which would be lovely!

Cheers

It might be my eyes but my 8mm Hyperion gives me very nice lunar and planetary views in my 200P dob, which is F6. Though I do prefer my 13mm which frames the whole lunar disc in the field of view :)

Some people are a bit negative about the zoom, saying it's not as sharp as the single focus, so I was nervous. But I tried one at a star party and thought it was superb. If there was any reduction in quality compared to fixed length models, which logically there will be as there is more glass, then it's very subtle I think

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It gets puzzling! An 8" lightbucket does better with plossl's than more expensive e.p? I'm told sharpness goes down with e.ps like hyperions, got to do more research!

I think the plossl in question is by Tele Vue. All their eyepieces are designed and tested to be as sharp as possible in scopes as fast as F/4.

The sharpness and contrast in the Hyperions will be an improvement on a standard set of plossls at the centre of view. HOWEVER, what most of these mid price-range wide angle eps suffer from is a fair amount of astigmatism around the edge of the FOV. As Macavity mentions the higher power eps suffer far less than those with a lower power (both the 24 and 21mm Hyperions are horrible at f4.7!). At f5 your scope will be fairly demanding on eps, but I imagine the 8mm Hyperion will perform reasonably well with your setup. My advice would be to see if you can get hold of a second hand Radian... better FOV than the TV plossl and a considerable improvement in terms of optical quality over the Hyperion.

Archived