Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

Need a new eyepiece or two....

mert

I'm looking for a new eyepiece or two for my dob f/4.8. skies are very dark with no light pollution, I have a 12mm Nagler T4, 20mm Explore Scientific 100,and a 30mm 2" eyepiece which is ok but a bit soft around the edge. I was looking to add a higher power for planetary and lower power eyepiece to replace the 30mm.

I don't have a huge amount to spend, best bang for buck I suppose :D

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Edited by mert

i have the same 30mm ep as you and its amazing so i would say there isnt really that much you can replace it with.by soft do you mean a bit of coma?mine didnt show any at f5 in my old 300p but does in my 16" f4.5 so maybe you need a comma corrector.

how about a 2xpowermate/barlow to take your nagler to 6mm and your 20mm to 10mm?

i currently have the 82 degree es 30/18/14/8.8 and 6.7 but changing about next month,keeping the 30mm and ordering the 20/14/9mm 100 degree and a 2x barlow which gives me 7mm/4.5mm for the 14 and 9mm :)

• Like 1

I know I keep bangin on about it but i'd powermate that 12mm for starters....

That's a good idea, never thought of that.

Would have thought the 12mm Nagler giving x223 was spot on for the planets???

You could try barlowing the 10mm to give x268.....

I think you're right about the 12mm Nagler being spot on.

So probably better looking for a 2" powermate?

i have the same 30mm ep as you and its amazing so i would say there isnt really that much you can replace it with.by soft do you mean a bit of coma?mine didnt show any at f5 in my old 300p but does in my 16" f4.5 so maybe you need a comma corrector.

how about a 2xpowermate/barlow to take your nagler to 6mm and your 20mm to 10mm?

i currently have the 82 degree es 30/18/14/8.8 and 6.7 but changing about next month,keeping the 30mm and ordering the 20/14/9mm 100 degree and a 2x barlow which gives me 7mm/4.5mm for the 14 and 9mm :)

On the 30mm the stars at the edge are not sharp, I suppose I can live with it, it's not that bad, the powermate seems to be the way to go, thanks also. Good luck with the 20/14/9mm 100 degree, are you ordering direct? I got mine from ES in The States.

The 2" 2x Powermate is a superb device - it really does just add the magnification and nothing else apart from 1 lbs of weight and another hole in the bank balance :smiley:

At the other end of the scale, you may well be seeing coma at the edges of the field with the 30mm which is scope generated usually. Even the 31mm Nagler will show coma in an F/4.8 newtonian. A coma corrector is probably called for as crashtestdummy suggests. You will probably see it at the edges of the field in your 20mm ES 100 too - I see a little with mine and thats with an F/5.3 newtonian.

• Like 1

yes im going to order them direct from the states as prices in the uk/europe are just plain rip off.ive been talked into ordering a tv parcorr too

As I've said before, the rip off is by Explore Scientific. I believe that they won't allow UK dealers to use comparable pricing to the US.

The 2" 2x Powermate is a superb device - it really does just add the magnification and nothing else apart from 1 lbs of weight and another hole in the bank balance :smiley:

At the other end of the scale, you may well be seeing coma at the edges of the field with the 30mm which is scope generated usually. Even the 31mm Nagler will show coma in an F/4.8 newtonian. A coma corrector is probably called for as crashtestdummy suggests. You will probably see it at the edges of the field in your 20mm ES 100 too - I see a little with mine and thats with an F/5.3 newtonian.

Cheer John, I'll check for coma when I next use the scope, meanwhile I'll hang on for a bit then get a Powermate in the near future.

yes im going to order them direct from the states as prices in the uk/europe are just plain rip off.ive been talked into ordering a tv parcorr too

Cool, get them all lol

Going to have to watch the balnce on your ota when you start hanging all those glass grenades on it!

+1 vote for the powermate here.

I have two (1.25") and use them in my binoviewer. Heavy but cheaper that the alternative!