SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Your opinion about the EQ2 mount

Hello everyone

I would like to get some feedback from those who have used the Skywatcher EQ2 mount. I know it's not the best in the market, but I'm considering a economical starter telescope and the EQ2 mount is part of it.

In terms of stability, I've heard it's good enough. But I'm worried about the accuracy of the setting circles. Any help would be appreciated :)

I dont use the circles at all on mine, I find them not to be very accurate but iv also heard that other more expensive mounts have the same problem, it is not the sturdiest of mounts and has about a 3 second calm down period when knocked, I do though cope with mine ok and you do get used to its flaws, if you're thinking of astrophotography then this mount is not a good choice, what scope are you getting with it as part of the package?

Bungielad88

Accuracy is to the setting circles like a bicycle is to a fish.

I don't believe I've ever head of anyone using them. It's easier to find a target by releasing the clutches and star-hopping and then re-engaging the clutches and using the RA and DEC drives to track.

James

I dont use the circles at all on mine, I find them not to be very accurate but iv also heard that other more expensive mounts have the same problem, it is not the sturdiest of mounts and has about a 3 second calm down period when knocked, I do though cope with mine ok and you do get used to its flaws, if you're thinking of astrophotography then this mount is not a good choice, what scope are you getting with it as part of the package?

Bungielad88

Thank you for the reply. I'm considering the Skywatcher explorer 130M . What telescope did you get with the EQ2? and how do you mange to find objects in the sky without the circles?

A clubmate of mine has one of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html and I've used it for some observing. The optics are surprisingly good, but the EQ2 mount only just about ok. If you are patient and wait for the view to steady after focusing, it's not too bad for basic observing. The EQ2 would be more adequate with a smaller and lighter tube assembly.

Personally, I'd not be using the setting circles on the EQ2. Sorry, but they are really only there to make the mount look a bit more 'scientific'. They could get you in the right area, but you would be fortunate if you hit your target exactly. When using my clubmates scope, I 'star hopped' to each object with no problems.

HTH, Ed.

Accuracy is to the setting circles like a bicycle is to a fish.

I don't believe I've ever head of anyone using them. It's easier to find a target by releasing the clutches and star-hopping and then re-engaging the clutches and using the RA and DEC drives to track.

James

Sorry you have to go easy on me as I'm a beginner. How do you exactly use the RA and DEC coordinates without the circles?

I got the 130p with Eq2 and to be honest I love it but what you'll soon find is that after a while ( or in my case) very soon after , you will want more, my advice if you have a strong interest is to save a little more money and get a sturdier mount and scope with a bigger apature ....even the 150p or better still 200p, although iv had some fantastic sights through my 130p I do wish now id have just put the money towards a different or should I say bigger scope, like jamedf said...once you're polor alighned its easier to unlock the clutches and star hop. Hope this helps.

Bungielad

Get polor alighned first, then you dont use the co-ordinate, you align the red dot finder on the object of choice and turn on your motor, on your scope you will have 2 locking screws with big black heads, each of these either unlocks and then locks your RA and DEC, loosen them gently and align your object with dot finder, lock screws back tight and turn motor on...away you go!!!

Think about getting parabolic mirrors mate...lots better...130pand then buy sseparate motor....just a thought!!!

Bungielad.

Sorry you have to go easy on me as I'm a beginner. How do you exactly use the RA and DEC coordinates without the circles?

You wouldn't. You have to find the target by star-hopping from somewhere you know. Once you've found it then you can lock the clutches and use the RA and DEC motors or turn the control knobs to track the target as it moves. If you have passable polar alignment you may well not need to touch DEC that often, but as there's no polar scope it's usually easier to plonk the mount down with the correct latitude setting and pointing roughly north and accept that you'll have to do a bit of tweaking to keep targets in view.

James

A clubmate of mine has one of these http://www.firstligh...plorer-130.html and I've used it for some observing. The optics are surprisingly good, but the EQ2 mount only just about ok. If you are patient and wait for the view to steady after focusing, it's not too bad for basic observing. The EQ2 would be more adequate with a smaller and lighter tube assembly.

Personally, I'd not be using the setting circles on the EQ2. Sorry, but they are really only there to make the mount look a bit more 'scientific'. They could get you in the right area, but you would be fortunate if you hit your target exactly. When using my clubmates scope, I 'star hopped' to each object with no problems.

HTH, Ed.

Thanks for the honest feedback!

I got the 130p with Eq2 and to be honest I love it but what you'll soon find is that after a while ( or in my case) very soon after , you will want more, my advice if you have a strong interest is to save a little more money and get a sturdier mount and scope with a bigger apature ....even the 150p or better still 200p, although iv had some fantastic sights through my 130p I do wish now id have just put the money towards a different or should I say bigger scope, like jamedf said...once you're polor alighned its easier to unlock the clutches and star hop. Hope this helps.

Bungielad

I think the 130p is a bit different than the 130M , the later has 900mm focal length (f/7). I've been thinking of getting the 150PL which includes the EQ3-2, I'm not sure if it will be a great difference between the two mounts, but scope will be better ofc. 200P is expensive for a starter, skyliner 200p is cheaper but size is problem.

Thanks for the advice every one.

You wouldn't. You have to find the target by star-hopping from somewhere you know. Once you've found it then you can lock the clutches and use the RA and DEC motors or turn the control knobs to track the target as it moves. If you have passable polar alignment you may well not need to touch DEC that often, but as there's no polar scope it's usually easier to plonk the mount down with the correct latitude setting and pointing roughly north and accept that you'll have to do a bit of tweaking to keep targets in view.

James

Gotcha. So I guess the there is no point of an Equatorial mount, except for the tracking. Unless you get a really good EQ mount.

Gotcha. So I guess the there is no point of an Equatorial mount, except for the tracking. Unless you get a really good EQ mount.

in my view that's about spot on. This is just my opinion and there are others but I think for visual work an eq mount is not great and for ap a good eq mount is needed the only purpose I can envisage for a cheap eq mount is practice for when you get the real thing

I think that's a reasonable point of view. I have in the past posted that I'm really not sure I see the point of mounts such as the EQ1 and EQ2 for use with a telescope (though they can work as lightweight mounts for wide field imaging with a camera and lens).

For DSO viewing I tend to use either my dob or an ST120 on an AZ3 mount. I don't find them any less convenient than an equatorial mount.

James

My first scope was an Evostar 90 on an EQ2, I found it was,

for the money very good, I didn't really worry about the wobble

when I was focusing, it stopped after a few seconds, I polar aligned

as good as it gets, and marked the position of the legs on the slabs

of my patio with a marker pen, so every time I set up I put the legs in

the same place and was ready to go in five or so minutes, I found the

finder scope that came with the scope very good with a little tweeking

pieces of plastic under the bracket, and each side of the scope which

gave it a little more tolerance and accuracy, learning the night sky helps

as the setting points are only for show, but I found it was enjoyable star

hopping, it gives you the experience you need and next time you go to

the same object you can find it quite easily, it's all about finding what you

can and what you can't do and will give you the experience you need when

you or if you upgrade.

I have the Explorer 130P on the manual EQ2 mount. Love the scope and if you take a minute or two to balance the scope the shaking caused by focussing settles down in a second or so. However, it is right at the mounts limit. Once you add a few bits and pieces, like a 9x50 finder and a Rigel Quickfinder, the limitations become very apparent! I've never used the settling circles, I just star hop.

I think that's a reasonable point of view. I have in the past posted that I'm really not sure I see the point of mounts such as the EQ1 and EQ2 for use with a telescope (though they can work as lightweight mounts for wide field imaging with a camera and lens).

For DSO viewing I tend to use either my dob or an ST120 on an AZ3 mount. I don't find them any less convenient than an equatorial mount.

James

That's is the feeling I've always had. Without having the experience of course of using said mount when I went through the joys of considering buying my first scope, reading the hundreds of posts everywhere around the planet I could find, including this forum before I registered. Since I had no particular interest in imaging starting out anyway, and wasn't fussed about the finer controls for tracking, so I decided against the EQ-2. For me personally the Dob just felt like a better choice, I have not regretted it. That being said I was very close to being a scope with an EQ-2 mount like the OP mentions. Had I done so I would have learned to live with the EQ-2 no doubt, and found it to be usable as well.

In the end I am not qualified to make the comparison never having used it, but to the OP I'd say if the fear of turning away from a Dob is because you feel you may not be able to find targets for example, I would not let that discourage you.

It's a tricky and fickle business buying that first scope :D but seriously to the OP, all I can add, chooose wisely and decide why you need feature X or Y, because it may not turn out the way you may first think how it can actually be useful to you.

You are doing the right thing asking and taking the advice from people much wiser and more experienced than I in considering some of these features :)

Archived