Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi

I've been having great fun using my 6" dobsonian over the last six months but I have hit some obstacles with it that I just can't get around.

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly the thing is just too big. I live in a typical Portsmouth terrace and I simply don't have room for what is effectively another piece of furniture.

Secondly, with twins in the house who are just starting to walk, it's only a matter of time before I'm emptying marmite sandwiches and cheesy quavers out of the tube because I can't lock it away somewhere safe.

With these limitations in mind, I have been thinking of getting a maksutov as my second scope and wondered if anyone could advise which one to get.

The Skywatcher Skymax 127 is about my price range, though I know the smaller aperture will be hard to take, I'm hoping to turn my hand to webcam photography and this looks like the right tool for the job.

Can anyone advise if this is a wise choice and whether there is anything else I should be considering?

Many Thanks

The 127 maksutov is a great performer, you only have to see the posts from Jamesf to see what they can do, but with webcam imaging in mind you will need a tracking mount and only be able to image planets and lunar, plus solar with the correct filter fitted

+1 for Skywatcher 127 mak I like mine a lot, I keep thinking about selling it now I have a 200P but I cant bring myself round to doing it. It does have limitations though which I'm sure you will have read about, but a great scope for the price. Beware of getting it on the skywatcher goto mount as I did, it is far too wobbly in even the lightest breeze and when focusing. I upgraded to an EQ5 mount and when I use it now on the EQ5 it is rock solid. If you do get one I would recommend a dew shield as your very first accessory.

Thanks for the reply.

Webcam imaging is very much secondary to my requirements but I had hoped to get the Alt-Az goto version which I hope would be workable with a webcam.

I have pretty much decided that I prefer looking at planets, owing in no small part to the fact I live in the centre of Portsmouth and light pollution has put a lot of DSOs out of my reach so I think this is the way forward for me.

I just don't have the room for the big apertures I'd need to see the dimmer DSOs so I'm making the best of the situation.

Archived