Hi,

would be grateful if anyone could advise me on which camera package would

be more suitable for my setup.I have an orion ed80t,tele vue 0.8x r/f on

an neq6 mount,i was looking at the 314l+ or the 460ex package,i am

interested in both galaxy and nebula imaging.I have light pollution where i

live so which filter set would be suitable,

also like your opinion on this ,would an upgrade from the ed80t to a

skywatcher espitit ed 120 pro make much difference for imaging as well as

for visual or would you recommend something else.

regards,

Sean

Hi Seanpius, it is very difficult for anyone to suggest what would be the correct camera for you and your setup since the subject is very subjective. Some people prefer the cooled ccd's in monochrome, some like one shot colour and others prefer using DSLR's. I guess for most people it falls down to whats affordable.

I'm gussing that if you looking at using the 314L with an ED80 and a 0.8 reducer then you will be looking at wide-field imaging. The Skywatcher Esprits are a good telescops and you will likely find a flatter field with them. You may also consider the additional focal length of a 120 to be preferable.

Certainly the 314L is a good little CCD and will produce good images, there are certainily plent of good example images but be mindful you intial results are not likley to be as good as perhaps the example imaes proffesionally taken by Atik. I would advise looking other people results with the 314L and looking at the equipment they have used to capture the image.

In terms of ligh pollution, this can depend on the amount of light pollution and the colour. Many of the light pollution filter work with the pollution from Sodium lamps but the the newer white lights which are more difficult to mitigate since you will be trying to capture light at the same wavelengths. Also be mindful that some of the filters can signiicantly reduce the amount of light capture thus increasing the exposure times. I personally prefer not to use light pollution filters and prefer to process images afterwards - post processing and adusting the colour balance can significantly decrease the orange glow to images (if colour).

Generally preference for any CCD is a larger pixel size as this generally means better light capture.

Hope that helps.

Archived