Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
What's the best software to do solar tracking and imaging on a Raspberry Pi (Astroberry)?
I have been learning how to use Kstars/Ekos/INDI and it's working pretty well at night, but since now the nights are super short and the sun is more "exposed" I'm also trying to do solar imaging.
Astroberry oacapture, but how can I control the mount to perform solar tracking? Normaly I use EKOS for this, but then I can't use it with solar film capture.
Please let me know which software you use to connect the mount, focuser and camera (QHY-II-5L-C). It's ok to control the mount and focuser in a separate software, but using two separate INDI sessions seems to crash it. Advice and recommendations are welcome!
Thanks & Clear skies!
as well today the sun is shining brightly here. I set up the Lunt to have a look at it, at first just for observing. However, somehow I cannot resist and have to do a sketch This time I've chosen reddish pastels on grey paper to better catch the color of the view in the eyepiece.
Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
Date & Time: May 15th, 2020 / 1400-1430 CEST
Location: home terrace, Dusseldorf region, Germany
Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
Size: 24 x 32 cm
Clear (and sunny) skies!
Managed to get some solar observing in this week, trying to get back into it after quite a break. Having been away some time I'm definitely out of practice., so I'm trying to record my amateur attempts and publicly shame myself on YouTube so I can learn from them as I go along.
Also need a tracking mount, its hard trying to do manually and focus at the same time. I'm in absolute awe of some of the stuff you lot produce, absolutely fantastic. This footage was from Wednesday 15th April 2020, very different compared to April 2014.
Solar Minimum v Maximum comparison
I finished observations of the Mizar A spectroscopic binary.
Calibration for the Hα line made on water lines contained in the Earth's atmosphere.
I used LowSpec spectrograph with 1800 grooves/mm reflective holographic grating, APM APO 107/700, QHY163M camera and HEQ5 mount with guiding.
It turned out that the Earth's movement practically compensated for the radial velocity of the Mizar A system.
Based on the analysis, I received the result:
vr = -8.8 km/s
in fact the system is approaching at a radial velocity of -6.3 km/s.
I also determined the phase plot of radial velocities based on my measurements for the Na (together for both lines) and separately for Hα line:
Error is based on half my spectral resolution (0.2 Å/pix corresponds to rv = 10 km/s). Each measurement corresponds to the stack a few images.
The most important purpose of observing this binary system was to record the historical Ca II line (often called as CaK, 3933.66 Å).
The distances in the violet part of the spectrum are almost 2x smaller than the corresponding shifts for the Hα line. This line initiated the discovery of spectroscopically binary systems, and Mizar A was the first discovered system of this type.
These were the spectroscopic observations in the 19th century:
I've made several observations of this line in the last two weeks:
Animation showing the changes in the CaK line based on my observations:
Not only the Ca II is split, but the surrounding lines also, shown below in a wider environment:
Balmer hydrogen lines are becoming more dense as Balmer's gap approaches (3646 Å).
Observation result of the Hα line:
And animation showing the changes in this line:
The Na I doublet was much more difficult to observe, because stars with A spectral type contain very faint lines of this metal:
Animation showing the changes in the sodium doublet:
We received the sodium quartet
Made a solar finder out of a spare skywatcher finder-scope using the pinhole camera principle.
Removed lenses, covered front with foil and added a pinhole with a needle. Held in place With elastic bands (could use something more permanent but this is very easy to replace). The lens cap still fits over the foil for protection when not in use.
On the rear I used some kitchen parchment taped to the inside of the adapter that holds the “eyepiece stalk” and added a crosshair.
Pinhole projection gives a solar disk about 3-4mm and whole thing is adjustable as per the normal finder-scope.
Tested yesterday and works a treat, I can now get the Quark on target without having to use the WL wedge with 25mm then 8mm to get it aligned first.