Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Starman

Big prom from July 20th

Hi all,

Here are a couple of results from Saturday, July 20th. Amazingly complex and beautiful prominence on show...

2013Jul20_101636_flat.jpg

2013Jul20_100114_flat.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful Pete, exquisite detail. Shame it was coudy here all Saturday but I did get chance to have a quick look yesterday afternoon, not quite as spectacular but still very active.

Fantastic!

James

I observed this on Saturday also, at The Astronomy Centre with Peter Drew using one of Peter's mods - Vixen Fluorite 4"/PST mod. Alas we only had brief views through cloud, and never had a completely clear view. It was still wonderful as you say, but it's nice to see your excellent pictures and some of the extra detail we missed because of the poor observing conditions.

Regards, Paul

Beautiful shots Pete. You packed a lot of detail into those images.

stunning images pete!

i briefly saw the 2 o'clock prominence (i think) at about 1230 before heading out diving for the afternoon. not yet processed my very quickly grabbed PST images, so don't even know if they're in focus or not :shocked:

Wow! absolutely superb!!! I wish I had had some sunshine over the weekend, nothing but cloud here.

Alexandra

Fantastic images, truely beautiful. Well done.

Barry

Fantastic images Pete, do you use the same exposure for all the pane's or do the prom's get a bit more?

Mel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By acr_astro
      Hi all,
      as well today the sun is shining brightly here. I set up the Lunt to have a look at it, at first just for observing. However, somehow I cannot resist and have to do a sketch This time I've chosen reddish pastels on grey paper to better catch the color of the view in the eyepiece.

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: May 15th, 2020 / 1400-1430 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By NiCo10
      Managed to get some solar observing in this week, trying to get back into it after quite a break. Having been away some time I'm definitely out of practice., so I'm trying to record my amateur attempts and publicly shame myself on YouTube so I can learn from them as I go along.
      Also need a tracking mount, its hard trying to do manually and focus at the same time. I'm in absolute awe of some of the stuff you lot produce, absolutely fantastic. This footage was from Wednesday 15th April 2020, very different compared to April 2014.
      Solar Minimum v Maximum comparison
    • By Bajastro
      I finished observations of the Mizar A spectroscopic binary.
      Calibration for the Hα line made on water lines contained in the Earth's atmosphere.
      I used LowSpec spectrograph with 1800 grooves/mm reflective holographic grating, APM APO 107/700, QHY163M camera and HEQ5 mount with guiding.
      It turned out that the Earth's movement practically compensated for the radial velocity of the Mizar A system.
      Based on the analysis, I received the result:
      vr = -8.8 km/s
      in fact the system is approaching at a radial velocity of -6.3 km/s.

I also determined the phase plot of radial velocities based on my measurements for the Na (together for both lines) and separately for Hα line:

Error is based on half my spectral resolution (0.2 Å/pix corresponds to rv = 10 km/s). Each measurement corresponds to the stack a few images.

The most important purpose of observing this binary system was to record the historical Ca II line (often called as CaK, 3933.66 Å).
      The distances in the violet part of the spectrum are almost 2x smaller than the corresponding shifts for the Hα line. This line initiated the discovery of spectroscopically binary systems, and Mizar A was the first discovered system of this type.

These were the spectroscopic observations in the 19th century:

Source: https://www.leosondra.cz/en/mizar/#b20

I've made several observations of this line in the last two weeks:

Animation showing the changes in the CaK line based on my observations:

Not only the Ca II is split, but the surrounding lines also, shown below in a wider environment:

Balmer hydrogen lines are becoming more dense as Balmer's gap approaches (3646 Å).

Observation result of the Hα line:

And animation showing the changes in this line:

The Na I doublet was much more difficult to observe, because stars with A spectral type contain very faint lines of this metal:

Animation showing the changes in the sodium doublet:

We received the sodium quartet
    • By Rob63
      Made a solar finder out of a spare skywatcher finder-scope using the pinhole camera principle.
      Removed lenses, covered front with foil and added a pinhole with a needle. Held in place With elastic bands (could use something more permanent but this is very easy to replace). The lens cap still fits over the foil for protection when not in use.
      On the rear I used some kitchen parchment taped to the inside of the adapter that holds the “eyepiece stalk” and added a crosshair. 
      Pinhole projection gives a solar disk about 3-4mm and whole thing is adjustable as per the normal finder-scope.
      Tested yesterday and works a treat, I can now get the Quark on target without having to use the WL wedge with 25mm then 8mm to get it aligned first.

• By ro88ieuk
      For some reason I've found time to use the Solar Film I've had for 2 years...fitted to 25 x 100 bins. I may have to paint them though..😊 ps... the Wine was nice.
      Stay safe all  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.