Narrowband

Earth & Moon image taken from Saturn

Pig

Hiya all,

If you look carefully you can see me, I am in my garden with my best clothes on all ready for the pic to be taken :grin:

An early raw image of the Earth and moon, as seen from Saturn by Cassini spacecraft on July 19, 2013. Earth is the brighter dot; moon to lower left. Via NASA/JPL-Caltech/SSI.

Earth-moon-Cassini-7-19-2013.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya all,

If you look carefully you can see me, I am in my garden with my best clothes on all ready for the pic to be taken :grin:

An early raw image of the Earth and moon, as seen from Saturn by Cassini spacecraft on July 19, 2013. Earth is the brighter dot; moon to lower left. Via NASA/JPL-Caltech/SSI.

Earth-moon-Cassini-7-19-2013.jpg

And very smart you look as well mind you could have had a shave before getting dressed up for your photo :grin:

The thing I like about this pic is that it shows that even with the utterly epic achievement of the Apollo programme, humans have still travelled absolutely nowhere. No human being has been anywhere in the universe other than in between those two dots. And it took 3 days of travel to get from the big bright dot to the dimmer, smaller dot.

As Douglas Adams wrote, "space is big"!

The thing I like about this pic is that it shows that even with the utterly epic achievement of the Apollo programme, humans have still travelled absolutely nowhere. No human being has been anywhere in the universe other than in between those two dots. And it took 3 days of travel to get from the big bright dot to the dimmer, smaller dot.

As Douglas Adams wrote, "space is big"!

Multiply that distance by about 600,000 or so (I think) and you have the distance the image was taken from. And it's still peanuts.

James

I don't think the human mind can comprehend the massive distances involved within the universe and how massively small on the quantum scale, we just hear the words :smiley:

Archived