SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

50mm canon lens with cls clip filter

Scott

This has no doubt been covered before (in fact I thought I'd asked previously) but my searches have come up empty. I know that my standard 18-55mm ef-s lens will not fit with my cls clip filter. I'm just wondering what "lettering" is a suitable canon lens to use with these filters?

Thanks for taking the time with this one

whilst i'd like a 10ish mm lens I assume these are quite pricey so as it is I'm looking at the "nifty fifty"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10mm ish lens you could check out the Samyang 14mm but it has a Moustache type distortion (needs correcting post processing - you can download a lens profile for lightroom and do that) and some are soft and some are sharp, quality consistency issues, they basically throw them out regardless of focus or have a huge tolerance.

They are f/2.8 but there is a slightly longer focal length from them at f/2.0.

Scott,

as MooMoo says, aim for EF lenses.

wexphotographic has a big range to choose from, you don't need to purchase from them, but they make a good reference library.

Check out the Canon fit, read the descriptions carefully and avoid any that are designed for the APS-C fitting.

I don't know the Samyang mentioned, but a genuine 14mm full frame lens will not be low cost...

A buddy of mine, despite my repeated warnings, got into the Canon "L" series.. They are superb, will work at full apature, are well corrected but are expensive. My warning was once you try one, nothing else will do.

Also, don't expect much change from £500 for one either.....

Now, the "nifty fifty" is a highly regarded lens, I have ne but not personally got round to using it tor astro purposes yet..

You will get some reasonable shots with it, as the f1.8 will shorten the exposure times quite a lot. However, compared to a 10 to 15mm FL, you will not get such a wide FOV.

But... it's only £70, or so.

Good luck.

Gordon.

A 50mm is similar to an 80mm Field of View.

I have yet to get the Samyang but I have seen good shots with it, it is 296 GBP on Amazon, but since the quality consistency issues I prefer to try before i buy that one but I don't want to pay Jessops prices (they also don't do the Samyang). There is a Sigma 15mm but it is 600 GBP on Amazon but I know nothing about it but some shots look good too.

I have the f/1.4 50mm Canon, I decided to pay a little extra for the heavier build of the 1.4 50mm and the focus ring is not on the front (important if you use filters which I do for daylight), it is AWESOME, the contrast and sharpness is amazing even on a 1100d which I use and it is even better on a full frame sensor such as the 5D.

I have the Samyang 14mm and have been extremely impressed with both the resolution and colour correction, a real bargain! Great if you're after wide shots of the milky way. If you prefer widefield DSO (will you be tracking?) then the nifty 50 is very well regarded.

I have the Samyang 14mm and have been extremely impressed with both the resolution and colour correction, a real bargain! Great if you're after wide shots of the milky way. If you prefer widefield DSO (will you be tracking?) then the nifty 50 is very well regarded.

Is the focus on your one sharp or soft?

Well... it's fully manual, so it's partly down to the user :) But I find the resolution, as I say, to be very sharp indeed.

I am aware it is full manual, just some have been reported to be soft focusing and some are sharp due to the quality being inconsistent.

One word of caution using the 'Nifty Fifty', whilst it's very fast at f/1.8, the coma is unbelievable.... it's bad enough at f/3.2 that I had to crop at least 25% of the image to get something useable from it. As has been said you can use the clip filters with any EF lens, or, I've read that if you're prepared to 'modify' your EF-S lenses, you can make them work. However, as this is destructive mod I've not tried it, and cannot comment on the efficacy of the mod.

One word of caution using the 'Nifty Fifty', whilst it's very fast at f/1.8, the coma is unbelievable.... it's bad enough at f/3.2 that I had to crop at least 25% of the image to get something useable from it.

This is very true and often not mentioned. I was usually unhappy even at f4 !

If it's just pretty pictures you're after, and are using PS, then you can go into Lens Correction > Custom > Remove Distortion and move the pointer to the left. If you go over -20 however, you're likely to start seeing bad effects on the centre of the image.

This is not a cure all but may give you a few more edge pixels to play with. I know the Coma isn't reduced much but it can help a little.

Dave.

Anything with the "S" in the title is a lens designed for APS sensors and goes further into the camera body so you can't use a clip filter. Don't know what the S stands for "short" has been suggested,

Don't get confused with I S which is image stabilised. So you can have an "S" lens an "I S" lens or an "S, I S " lens.

Dave

The S stands for short back focus. The smaller mirror box allows the rear element of the lens to be closer to the sensor, and with the smaller sensor size means the lenses can be made smaller.

I can confirm the nifty fifty works with the clip filter as it is what I am using at the moment, you still need to stop it down a bit though - at f1.8 the stars are not pretty.

With a 1000d im able to fit in most of the constellation of orion, cygnus is a good fit too.

Thanks so much everyone for your pearls of wisdom.

@shibby, yes I will be tracking, I really would like a nice lens for widefield milkyway shots, however at the moment I'm kinda putting most of my "big" money towards my dso imaging (guiding,then frac etc) so maybe i'll stick with thefifty for now.I've got a 28mm lens that comes from my old Pentax k that doesn't quite focus on the canon. is there any way around this? sorry to be a pain.

@ davew, thanks for the tip on ps. I'll have a fiddle.

@ gordon, think I'll skip the "L" series, bit out of my range atm :)

@ moomoo, that 14mm will be one to look at down the road, thanks

@ john, just wondering if I'd be better off at a slower f/ seeing i'll be tracking with an eq (5 or 6)

.I've got a 28mm lens that comes from my old Pentax k that doesn't quite focus on the canon. is there any way around this? sorry to be a pain.

I've got the same lens with the same problem, started looking into getting it to fit once, found something on a Canon forum about being able to adjust the back focus of some Super Takumar lenses but never pursued it as got sidetracked by another problem

Think Gina may have done some work on this so perhaps she'll chip in.

Dave

One word of caution using the 'Nifty Fifty', whilst it's very fast at f/1.8, the coma is unbelievable.

Sadly, this is all too true. To put this issue into some perspective, somewhat to my horror, here is the 3D plot of an image taken with a nifty-fifty and a Canon 450D DSLR camera. Please note that this was taken with centre of frame focus and if possible Peter's advice here should be taken on board - "try using one of the thirds points rather than the centre of the frame ..."

post-1029-0-68463700-1374524899_thumb.pn

Steve is it possible to repeat that with a thirds focused image? I know what it does to star shapes so it would be interesting to see what the CCD inspector results show up...

Now my 77mm IDAS and adaptor rings have turned up I will be looking to do some test images with the various lenses and full and crop frame sensors...but that will wait until longer , cooler and clearer nights...

Peter...

Steve is it possible to repeat that with a thirds focused image? I know what it does to star shapes so it would be interesting to see what the CCD inspector results show up...

With pleasure, Peter - I'll run a set first opportunity I get. This image was a total test and I was only interested in the tracking accuracy of a piece of kit I have here for review hence I just centred the star for focus. This was taken at F2.2 so I'll repeat that for the 1/3rds test. I was happy with the tracking test but the coma to the right hand side of the image was a bit of a shock! I almost wonder if the lens is faulty, what do you think?

post-1029-0-76815600-1374571963_thumb.jp

Archived