First BST eyepiece

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does a Barlow affect the AFOV? E.g. in combo with A 82° EP, do you keep the full AFOV or will it get narrower?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

By the rule of magnification you'd expect approximately half the true FOV when you put your eyepiece in the scope with a 2x barlow, BUT some barlow designs may impose an effective fieldstop, so depending on length and design, the FOV may actually work out being a bit less.

I have an 8mm BST and I use it most of the time on DSOs, so far my favourite EP.

I like them too :) I find it interesting that there are varied reports, some say 12mm is the best, some say 15mm, some other articles claim the 18mm or 25mm is the weakest, but I've also heard it said the 18mm is the best. So I conclude from that it is inconclusive that there really is a valid claim that there is a strong one in the bunch or a clear weak one. There is no control case in such experiments to get a meaningful handle on it to compare to anyway, in the various places I read about them anyway.

There's no reason why you could not use a 1.25" eyepiece in a 2" barlow with an adapter, though as the 2" barlow is more expensive it only makes sense if you have two or more excelent 2" eyepieces already.

Else another one or two small eyepieces would be cheaper and provide overall best contrast.

There's no reason why you could not use a 1.25" eyepiece in a 2" barlow with an adapter, though as the 2" barlow is more expensive it only makes sense if you have two or more excelent 2" eyepieces already.

Else another one or two small eyepieces would be cheaper and provide overall best contrast.

Thanks for starting the thread watersblue!

and the advice all! :hello2:

helped me check my spending plans too and now have a 1.25" barlow and started my eyepiece collection with 18mm BST! it's very pretty as wasn't swayed by the fact it's the green one at all...honest...(I like green!) me thinks it already looks lonely on its own and needs a friend soon :wink2:

just a shame I have to wait till saturday's caravan trip to try it all out, fingers crossed skies stay clear and dark in New Forest! :icon_biggrin:

• 5 months later...

I have the 15mm BST which I use with my f5 12" and on occasion with my f4 Quattro, it's been a favourite since I bought it. It was certainly wowing guests at a recent star party in the Quattro while pointed at M81 and M82 (with SN2014J) coming out nice and crisp, It was aided by a comma corrector as the f4 Quattro can be a bit of trail with some EPs.

I have been using the Skywatcher UWA 6mm, it's OK but masses of internal reflections tend to spoil views of Jupiter and Saturn, I was just browsing here and trying to toss up between the 5 or 8mm BST, reading some of the comments I've gone for the 8mm as it seems to have a similar FOV to the old out of the box 10mm MA which I still have not replaced

Archived