Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new to me abbe orthos

faulksy

I've read loads of reports on the super abbe orthos as they have been around for a few years under a number of brand names. Nothing I've read would lead me to buy one over a Circle-T ortho, Baader GO, Baader Classic ortho, UO HD, Astro Hutech or a Fijiyama ortho.

prices are good though john if you was just after your first ortho, nice range of focal lengths as well, very nearly bought one, but thought i would ask on here, good job i did

If you need retail therapy faulksy, my feeling is the BCOs are cracking for the price...I "invested" in a 10mm after John's encouraging review and while I've only used it a couple of times (moving, getting engrossed in big wide southern sky things :D ), it seems to give up nothing to the Pentax while looking at Saturn with the C8, at least for most of it's FOV (C8 is on a tracking mount anyway). Also a cracker in my little 'frac with the Baader barlow, both Saturn and the Moon very sharp. Or maybe it's just the better seeing down here :D

If you need retail therapy faulksy, my feeling is the BCOs are cracking for the price...I "invested" in a 10mm after John's encouraging review and while I've only used it a couple of times (moving, getting engrossed in big wide southern sky things :D ), it seems to give up nothing to the Pentax while looking at Saturn with the C8, at least for most of it's FOV (C8 is on a tracking mount anyway). Also a cracker in my little 'frac with the Baader barlow, both Saturn and the Moon very sharp. Or maybe it's just the better seeing down here :D

I can't help feeling that the looks and price of the Baader Classic's work against them and they are being overlooked. I think they are excellent eyepieces and wish there were more orthos in the range. An experienced observer who posts on the Cloudynights forum found that a Baader Classic 10mm ortho actually slightly bested a 10mm Delos on some objects and this was backed up by others observing with him. They were using really large aperture scopes under really dark skies.

I think you are right John. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about them which doesn't appeal. Possibly it's the feeling that they are more built to hit a price, rather than the more chunky feeling BGO's etc, or the somewhat fussy hybrid volcano top. Not sure. I'm also not too keen on the fact that the additional fov is not sharp to the edge, would rather have sharp across the whole of a narrower field, they are not Widefield eps after all.

It's odd, because in theory they offer great performance for a very good price point.

Stu

The ortho highlighted is being sold under various banners here and there, these were origially marketed by Kson as a set of 4, then there is is a fifth 25mm. They were sold for around £100 per set. To be honest, I have tried the original Kson brand and they are nothing special in my view, and have a slight colour bias which is a bit off-putting.

Archived