SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PHD, Heq5Pro webcam guiding

I'm giving up on the Synguider !, yesterday I bought a hd webcam with the view to using it on my AR80s for guiding my ED80, its a barrel shaped cam which I have inserted into the 1.25 eyepiece adapter, it seems to be holding it fine.

I've downloaded phd as the guiding software as it looks like a lot of folk are getting a lot of results with it, so, my question is, does anyone here use this to guide their Heq5Pro and if so which settings do you use ?

I had a mess around and the program has found the webcam no problem showing an image on the loop.

The mount is connected to the laptop directly with an st4 cable, I'm just a bit scared of frying something in there if I choose the wrong setting for the mount !!!

As always thanks for your help

Its a very good idea to give up the synguider because for all the convenience it seemingly gives you, it does not show real stars on the scree, and its all red!

Which barrel shaped cam did you buy? is it a regular computer webcam or is it a dedicated planetary/guide camera like the Opticstar PL-131 or the QHY5?

I use the HEQ5-PRO muself and use the former camera to do both planetary and guiding work. You wont fry anything as the voltage from the USB is 5V if I am not wrong. To fry the mount you need in excess of 13V DC. So you are fine in every way. Relax, have fun and shoot some stars. :)

Its just a cheapo logitec 720p webcam, £14 from currys think I've just bust it though having trouble getting it to focus through guidescope and phd !!!

Might have to go shopping for another in a bit

I'm giving up on the Synguider !, yesterday I bought a hd webcam with the view to using it on my AR80s for guiding my ED80, its a barrel shaped cam which I have inserted into the 1.25 eyepiece adapter, it seems to be holding it fine.

I've downloaded phd as the guiding software as it looks like a lot of folk are getting a lot of results with it, so, my question is, does anyone here use this to guide their Heq5Pro and if so which settings do you use ?

I had a mess around and the program has found the webcam no problem showing an image on the loop.

The mount is connected to the laptop directly with an st4 cable, I'm just a bit scared of frying something in there if I choose the wrong setting for the mount !!!

As always thanks for your help

Hi,

You seem to have a great deal of good quality equipment, particularly the ED80s Gold, may I suggest that you fork out for a decent planetary _ guide camera and your have headache done with, some folks say that they had success in guiding with the old spc 900, I have no reason to doubt that but that particular webcam just happened to have a very sensitive chip by yesterdays standards and it still remains so today but a modern guide camera will have a far more sensitive and more importantly a larger chip that will give you a wider FOV so you can hunt for stars easily. A good one will also double up as a planetary camera once the planets come into view next year. I use an ASI 120 MC with great success with phd. PHD is also quite fussy about which camera works best with it, I think thatit has native support for QHY5 cameras.

Reagrds,

A.G

To fry the mount you need in excess of 13V DC. So you are fine in every way. Relax, have fun and shoot some stars. :)

However... 5V at the wrong polarity can provide a quick high current burst which can do a lot of damage , unlikely, but possible

tbh I'm thinking of giving Peter a bell @ Opticstar, they have a good range of gear there, seems a bit daft to skimp on this really, but I just wanted to make the jump quickly and cheaply to start to get to grips with guiding.

Having said that, if I have the right gear to start with, that should make it easier in itself,........... think I've just talked myself into another purchase !!!

tbh I'm thinking of giving Peter a bell @ Opticstar, they have a good range of gear there, seems a bit daft to skimp on this really, but I just wanted to make the jump quickly and cheaply to start to get to grips with guiding.

Having said that, if I have the right gear to start with, that should make it easier in itself,........... think I've just talked myself into another purchase !!!

Peter is a great guy and he has always given me good advice, I also believe that the design of the OpticStar AG131M guide camera has changed and a new version is on the way.

Reagrds,

A.G

Couldn't comment on it being suitable or not as I have no direct experience of using this model of camera.

You might find it easier to go down the QHY5 (or similar) route if you have any camera issues they could be easily solved as a few more people have direct experience with that model.

I used to own a HEQ5 and it's a very capable mount.

I see you're in South Cheshire as I am - If you get really stuck drop me a PM and I can either talk you through things or pop round and help you to get set up.

I assume you are using something like a GPUSB between your laptop and mount as you can't just connect mount to laptop without additional software.

Freddie, I'm using the cable off the Synguider at the minute, an st4, I hope !

Spikey, cheers mate I'll probably take you up on that.

Oh, the bill increases !

Thought it was a case of guidecam, st4, phd, laptop, goes to show you never stop learning !

Cheers for that mate, Peter will make sure I come away with everything I need as always.....

Oh, the bill increases !

Thought it was a case of guidecam, st4, phd, laptop, goes to show you never stop learning !

Cheers for that mate, Peter will make sure I come away with everything I need as always.....

Or get a £20 EQDIR module for your mount and pulse guide via ASCOM/EQMOD rather than buying an £80 GPUSB just to use the ST4 port on the mount. You can also use EQMOD to control the mount via a laptop and do away with the handset.

Archived