SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

do astro CCD's have an anti-alias filter?

buzz

I was just wondering if the one-shot colour and monochrome Astro CCD's have an anti-alias filter on them, as many photographic cameras do. I noticed when I took images through a Baader green filter that my Fuji X-Pro1 the RGB value from the RAW file was pure green and with an EOS, it was a mixture of green and 50% red, both with the same white point. I realised that the Fuji does not have an anti-alias filter and it got me wondering...

regards Chris

I would say there is never an AA filter in any astro camera as an AA filter is there to stop pattern noise or moiré caused by close together parallel lines and I don't think we get many of them in space.

Thanks folks - that is what I assumed too. Along the same lines - I have heard it said that doing remote tethered operation of a Canon EOS, say with Nebulosity or Maxim, gives better results than storing RAW files on the camera and later importing them into the same programs. If it is a valid statement, do you know the reason? (I'm assuming the container is not the issue, since the camera source is less than 16-bit in the first place)

regards

Chris

Archived