Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3 quality eyepieces. Suggestions please..

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see you need much in the way of advice, the three you picked are as good as it gets. Johns idea of the 22mm Nagler is a nice one, the man knows his onions, but it is a little more costly. I did a review of the 6mm Delos which is now in equipment reviews. It is a superb eyepiece but don't like concrete very much, it became bin-bound after a scope fell from my mount. I should say mine was a superb eyepiece.

Alan.

sorry to hear about the delos meeting with the concrete.. OUCH.. i think i would have cried.. a delos bin bound.. :eek: its always good to get advice from guys who are far more experienced and have used or tested things, like mentioned by most its the sizes i have got to get right so i will take my time and get it right..

keith

.... its always good to get advice from guys who are far more experienced and have used or tested things, like mentioned by most its the sizes i have got to get right so i will take my time and get it right..

keith

Thats why I buy all my stuff on the used market. If it does not suit me, and eyepieces in particular can be a personal thing, the item can be sold on at little or no loss.

Reading reports from others is great but best of all is trying things out for yourself :smiley:

its been suggested to me getting a 2x powermate because its 2 inch, panoptic 27mm, delos 17.3mm and delos 10mm to give me 27mm 13.5mm...17.3mm 8.65mm and 10mm and 5mm plus the 2 inch panoptic is double used.. does this sound a good choice ??

That looks like a great line up, but the issue with a 2x barlow exaggerates the hassle of changing focal length. For example, if you want to change from 10mm to 8.65mm, you'd need to:

- take out 1.25" adaptor from focuser

- take out 10mm from adaptor

- insert powermate into focuser

- insert 1.25" adaptor into powermate

- insert 17.3mm into adaptor

and then faff about trying to find out where your target has gone!

Something to consider...

Andrew

That looks like a great line up, but the issue with a 2x barlow exaggerates the hassle of changing focal length. For example, if you want to change from 10mm to 8.65mm, you'd need to:

- take out 1.25" adaptor from focuser

- take out 10mm from adaptor

- insert powermate into focuser

- insert 1.25" adaptor into powermate

- insert 17.3mm into adaptor

and then faff about trying to find out where your target has gone!

Something to consider...

Andrew

To find the clouds have rolled in !

andrew

hi, i want or need three quality eyepieces for my 8 inch skywatcher dob, i wear glasses all the time and my main interest is the moon and planets, im thinking about the tele vue 27mm panoptic, and the tele vue delos in 6 mm and 12 mm, i was thinking about the tele vue nagler type 6 but i dont think the eye relief is enough for me.. any other suggestions are very welcome as i want to get it right before i spend as i only want to do it once.. thanks..keith..

Since you need a longer eye relief for glasses, here are some good examples of eyepieces to pick:

TeleVue Delos

Baader Hyperion

Astrotech AF70

TeleVue Nagler Type 4

Above 24mm, nearly every brand and model of eyepiece will have sufficient eye relief.

With 1200mm of focal length, I'd advise starting with 24mm, 12mm, 8mm and a 2X barlow to yield a 6mm and 4mm for occasional times when super high powers are necessary.

Spend extra on the 12mm, as that will be your most-used eyepiece

thanks for all your help and advice guys, had a member from my local astro club round the other night, and he had a good few televue eps with him, nice night so out came the dob which stood for an hour and away we went, i was and am still amazed at the views and sheer clarity, so today i ordered a couple of delos in 12 and 8mm while they are still on offer and the panoptic in 27mm from a very nice guy at green witch called lee.. a mate has a barlow i can try to see if i get on with one or not..

Whilst i can see the view of a decent eyepiece costs are there any cheaper eyepieces which are perfectly adequate and yet don't cost more than the scope to which they are going to be attached. :grin:

Basically her who must be obeyed is keeping the purse strings very tight at the mo :sad:

Archived