SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lovely bunch of sunspots

The Warthog

I was outside for a few minutes diring my work day, earlier this week. There was this great bright thingy up in the sky. Took me a few minutes to remember where I had seen it before. I think we used to call it the 'soon' or something like that.

Yes, I would like to add my congratulations too Carol. That is a very realistic reproduction of a spot group. I haven't seen this one myself, but I Know it will be truly representative. I have been paying tribute to others on the forum, who have this ability to accurately put on paper what they see in their eyepiece. It is a great skill, and I believe it breeds skilled observers.

Thanks Carol, the sketch is wonderful.

Ron. :icon_jokercolor:

We have been watching this feature in H-alpha for the last few days - it's the best for a couple of years we think. What you can't see in white image is what is round the spots - it is an amazing sight. A sort of white insect 10 earths square moving very slowly on the sun with the spots embedded in it and spewing off in each direction the blackish hints of the magnetic field lines.

If you look at the blue Soho image you see the Insect that we see in H-alpha, but we also see the spots imposed - a thing not shown on Soho's H-alpha photo which is part overexposed in the insect area. (So in this case a multi-million pound satellite system designed for the job is unable to match what you could see with a PST from your back garden.)

Also on the PST in H-alpha two other smaller white flare areas are visible (no spots) and at least one mini spot plus other black markings and yesterday there were also a number of flares blasting away round the suns edge.

The thing about all this is that - unlike most things astronomical - it all changes from day to day and even minute to minute so tomorrow there might be much more or much less. (Today being grey/cloudy/foggy.)

Still, that is half the fun - you never know what is going to come round the corner (of the sun) and, at the moment, we are at minimum activity so just wait...

Incidentally our PSTs are double stacked but, given the view, it's a cheap way to get a grandstand view of the best light show in the Solar System - even if it is a source of near total light pollution.

In my opinion SOHO offers images far in excess of anything that i can see in my ds pst or any other ha scope i,ve viewed....its also images in X-ray which thankfully we can,t view like uv down here however we can image in cak and a big advantage of the w-length is that it can be imaged easily during poor seeing conditions.

Great sketch to Carol :sunny:

Brian

Archived