Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Oily

Entering co-ordinates into EQMOD

I seem to be struggling getting the co-ordinates right in EQMOD :embarrassed:

Mine are N 53.XXXX,E -2.XXXX

Do I enter it as -2 and select E or do i enter it as 02 or just 2 and select W??When i select a target in CDC it either points in the opposite direction or at the floor :grin:

I've tried all manner of variations,none of which seem to work?

Any help much appreciated :cool:

Oily

I assume you mean your home coordinates? In my Eqmod window there are specific boxes for the site information a box to choose latitude N/S then a box needing two digits for hours, same minutes, same for seconds, then below that a box for longitude E/W then boxes for hours mins and secs like above. You don`t need any decimal points or + or - points anywhere.

HTH

Steve

Edited by Gasman

You also need to ensure your coordinates in CdC are identical to those in EQMOD or things will go a bit wrong!

Thanks for the response chaps,in CDC my co-ordinates are lat 53.XXX and long -2.XXX so how would input that into my home co-ordinates?

Go to Setup>Observatory and enter your coordinates, Degrees and Mins are straightforward, seconds have to be xx.x format (ie seconds and tenths of seconds). Then name your observatory and click Add. If you find your site on Google maps go in as far as you can and right click, click on "Whats here?" and you get the decimal coordinates and a little green arrow. Left click the tip of the green arrow and you get coordinates in dd.mm.ss.s format.

Go to Setup>Observatory and enter your coordinates, Degrees and Mins are straightforward, seconds have to be xx.x format (ie seconds and tenths of seconds). Then name your observatory and click Add. If you find your site on Google maps go in as far as you can and right click, click on "Whats here?" and you get the decimal coordinates and a little green arrow. Left click the tip of the green arrow and you get coordinates in dd.mm.ss.s format.

Thanks Roger, I've done that bit,my problem is how do I enter a -2.XXXX co-ordinate into EQMOD ?do I select East -2.XXXX or do I select West and enter 02.XXXX or 2.XXXX?

If you are in Manchester then you are West of Greenwich. Set up through EQMOD set-up and enter degrees mins and secs. Each is only two characters. You also set N/S and E/W. There is no need for +- signs. You also need to set your elevation, I'm not sure how critical this is (Unless you live up a mountain!).

If you are in Manchester then you are West of Greenwich. Set up through EQMOD set-up and enter degrees mins and secs. Each is only two characters. You also set N/S and E/W. There is no need for +- signs. You also need to set your elevation, I'm not sure how critical this is (Unless you live up a mountain!).

So i should set EQMOD to W 02.XXXX? But in CDC the long is -2,shouldn't they both be the same?Unless I'm missing something fairly simple?

Which version of CdC are you using? - the latest is v3.8. With that version you simply enter long and lat with N/S and E/W choice. No + or _ signs needed. Therefore you need your long and Lat in Degrees, minutes and seconds rather than decimal degrees for both pieces of software.

Which version of CdC are you using? - the latest is v3.8. With that version you simply enter long and lat with N/S and E/W choice. No + or _ signs needed. Therefore you need your long and Lat in Degrees, minutes and seconds rather than decimal degrees for both pieces of software.

So how do enter a -2.XXX co-ordinate into EQMOD?

Edited by Oily

You don't, you enter degrees, mins and secs along with the N/S E/W choice, using the EQMOD set up screen. You need to convert your 2.xxx (which is decimal degrees) into degrees, mins and secs. If you look back to post 5 I explain how to do it using Google maps.

This is where it's getting confusing,to enter a east -2.XXXX I must select West and input 02.XXXX?

It wouldn't be east -2. The minus/plus sign denotes the direction either side of the meridian. So you can have 2 deg west or 2 deg east which is the same as -2 or +2. For example: Manchester (from google) = 53.4800° N, 2.2400° W. This is equivalent to 53 deg 28' 48" N / 2h 14m 24s W. Obviously you'll have to be more specific when you enter your observing location.

Edited by Daddystu
  • Like 1

Well i've entered the lat/long as suggested by Stu but the scope still moves in the opposite direction to the target i've selected,this is doing my head,it must be something I've missed in EQMOD somewhere?

Perhaps its an aussie import :)

Assuming you are selecting the right mount when connecting via CDC then I don't know what to suggest. I'd check the time and location entries are identical in CDC and Eqmod. I notice you are using a modified mount. Has it worked for you previously?

Perhaps its an aussie import :)

Assuming you are selecting the right mount when connecting via CDC then I don't know what to suggest. I'd check the time and location entries are identical in CDC and Eqmod. I notice you are using a modified mount. Has it worked for you previously?

Lol,I'm selecting Ascom mount in CDC etc,CDC time set to use 'system time' and EQMOD says LST?Can't see in EQMOD where it displays the correct time?

As a quick check you could open up the CDC clock which shouuld be in your start menu > programs> skychart/CDC. Then check to see that these correlate with eqmod. Other than that I would wonder about the mod. Am I right in thinking you would've needed a synscan type board for the mount mod? If so, maybe wires are crossed/soldered incorrectly?

Check that your PCsystem time is correct and that EQMOD and CdC times match it. I was caught out by a wrong PC system time a while back.

Edited by Gina

As a quick check you could open up the CDC clock which shouuld be in your start menu > programs> skychart/CDC. Then check to see that these correlate with eqmod. Other than that I would wonder about the mod. Am I right in thinking you would've needed a synscan type board for the mount mod? If so, maybe wires are crossed/soldered incorrectly?

Do i set it to LST/BST/UT time etc??The AstroEQ needed to have the motors reversed so hopefully that's that fixed!!

Check that your PCsystem time is correct and that EQMOD and CdC times match it. I was caught out by a wrong PC system time a while back.

How do I match the PC /CDC time with LST time as shown in EQMOD?

Thanks for the replies

You could locate the meridian RA in CDC and assuming all the settings are correct that should if i'm not mistaken be your local sidereal time shown in eqmod.

You could locate the meridian RA in CDC and assuming all the settings are correct that should if i'm not mistaken be your local sidereal time shown in eqmod.

Thanks Stu but you've lost me there :embarrassed:

How do I match the PC /CDC time with LST time as shown in EQMOD?

You don't they are two separate things, just make sure your PC time is correct.

Local Sidereal Time is the RA value associated with meridian line. EQMOD calculates this using the current PC system time and you site details - it is displayed for info only and is not directly settable.

Chris

• Like 1

You don't they are two separate things, just make sure your PC time is correct.

Local Sidereal Time is the RA value associated with meridian line. EQMOD calculates this using the current PC system time and you site details - it is displayed for info only and is not directly settable.

Chris

Cheers Chris

Hi,

Just a thought.......

If setting lat & long manually is proving to be a problem, you might consider getting a GPS dongle (Maplins do them). EQ Mod can take co-ordinates straight from the dongle.

Regards, Herrman