My first white light image

Luke

Well I was hoping my first white light image was going to be a full disc! But there's not enough inward travel on my scope to get focus at prime (900mm), so I used a 2.5x Powermate instead and gave up on a full disc for now. Maybe I'd get focus at prime if I had a 1.25 inch wedge instead of 2 inch?

gallery_2875_2627_17240.jpg

I got my first high-res view through the wedge a few weeks ago, with binoviewers which seemed to give a 3D effect. I couldn't believe how detailed the view was. I could almost have fallen into the main spot! :smiley:

AR1798/1799/1800 - 19/07/2013

Equinox 120 / Baader Herschel Wedge / Grasshopper 3 (2.8MP) / 2.5xPowermate

Excellent image. Not sure what you can do about the focal point. A standard 1.25" diagonal will usually have a shorter optical path than a 2", but there's probably no guarantee that it would work. You could try lower multipliers for the barlow if you have them. I don't think either version of the 2.8MP Grasshopper will give you enough coverage to get a full disc in a single shot at 900mm focal length though, so you may be stuck with mosaics anyhow. At 900mm I think you need a sensor at least 8.4mm on the shorter side to get a full disc.

James

Thanks, guys!

Good point James about lower multipliers. I've since heard that there are a few adapters for the wedge to reduce the light path. :laugh:

You're quite right that I would have to tile at 900mm. I was planning on four tiles but gave up the idea of tiling at all when I had to use the 2.5x.

I definitely would like a full disc somehow. I might need an airplane silhouette at the ready for the missing chunk :grin:

Thanks, Bob and Pat!

re: the adapters for the wedge, I've ordered:

Baader item no.:1508035 (#27) (2inch male to T2 male):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p551_Baader-Adapter--SC-aussen---T2-aussen---sehr-kurzbauend---27.html

And T2-Cs from Teleskop Service:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2838_Adapter-von-T2-auf-C-Mount---nur-4mm-Baulaenge.html

I'll try to remember to post back here how I get on with it.

Nice shot Luke. I've got the same problem with inward focus on a 2" wedge. What adapters have you found to reduce the light path on the wedge? Cheers, Bob

Thanks, Bob and Pat!

re: the adapters for the wedge, I've ordered:

Baader item no.:1508035 (#27) (2inch male to T2 male):

https://www.teleskop...auend---27.html

And T2-Cs from Teleskop Service:

https://www.teleskop...-Baulaenge.html

I'll try to remember to post back here how I get on with it.

I am very happy to report that these two adapters did allow me to get prime focus with my webcam :smiley: I can now get prime focus on my Equinox 120 (original focuser) with about 4cm to spare, and can even get prime focus on my notoriously short on inward travel Onyx 80mm (with a Baader Steeltrack focuser) with a whole 2cm to spare! So with the Onyx I can now capture the disc in one go :grin:

The filters end up kind of inside the wedge rather than outside. The piccy is not quite right because it shows an extension adapter in the place of the adapter to a webcam (I use the extension to help connect to Baader binoviewers, it allows space to add the glass path corrector - the sun must have got to me when I took the pic!). But hopefully it shows where the ND and Solar Continuum filters end up.

post-2875-0-05179200-1375085132_thumb.jp

Archived