Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

With cables running from my power tank to my scope and camera, I try to keep them from entangling with each other and the tripod legs. But to what extent I wonder, does cable drag have on the tracking?

With cables running from my power tank to my scope and camera, I try to keep them from entangling with each other and the tripod legs. But to what extent I wonder, does cable drag have on the tracking?

A great deal depending on your mount, I have an EQ5 pro, once polar aligned and fine tuned I have managed to guide very well for 1200s subs over 3hours of imaging session but with the weight of the scope, the guide scope and guide camera , the imaging camera, reducer etc it is almost up to the limit of mount. I have noticed that the slightest movement of the wires will cause a spike in the PHD graph. Heavier more sturdy mounts will be less suceptible to such slight movements.

Regards,

A.G

I had so many cables I had to mount the two usb hubs on the scopes. I still get drag and wonder the best way to mitigate it. I guess clever routing around the mount.

The way to mitigate it is to contrive a way of hanging most of the weight of the cables near the centre of the RA and Dec axes of the mount. There they don't have a 'moment' or leverage effect.

I like using elastic to attach them as well. It 'gives' and provides shock absorption.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

I control my eos via EOS remote controller, focuser via another controller etc... I've got most of those things resting on the mount's head attached with velcro. Mounts HC + all other things...Still, some cables are ofcourse still draging behind, but as Olly said, try to keep the "drag point" near the RA/DEC center.

Thanks guys. Am getting a pier before too long so that should help a little, but looks like ties and velcro could also help.

Elastic is actually better than velcro for the reason that Olly gives....it allows a bit of stretch, especially if a cable snags.