Astro-Spending to Halt - Equipment List Complete (For Now)

I'm calling it :).

At the end of this month I'll be adding:

• TeleVue Nagler 3-6mm Zoom
  • TeleVue 11mm Plossl
  • TeleVue 25mm Plossl
  • 2" Dielectric Diagonal
  • 2" Astronomik O-III Filter
  • 1.25" to 2" Adapter

I've already ordered my AZ-4 for the ED80, and today I ordered an adapter to convert my new 6" Newt to be able to accept 1.25" eyepieces. After that, and the currently listed equipment, I think I'll be sorted for a while - at least a couple of months!

I'm happy with what I've got at the moment, and once I have the rest of this I'll feel that my set is somewhat complete - I don't feel there is no room for improvement, but I do feel I'm finally at the stage where I see myself as not missing anything out - something I've not been able to say yet (always has been large focal length gaps with my eyepieces).

So, unless you can tempt me into buying more, I'll probably hang up my spending hat for now for a few months - ready for the Winter :evil:.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done much the same, and even scope wise we have similar items, have the TV plossl eyepieces and the BST Explorers for my use, 3 good medium sized scopes ans that has been it for some time now. If something appears then I may try for whatever if I can see a use - small set of a few reasonable eyepieces for a grab and go scope being the one. Idea being grab scope, grab bag of dedicated bits and go - just one bag.

For public events I have a few inexpensive plossl's that I take.

One thing I may do is build myself a reasonable reflector.

I reckon your first view through a Nagler will be all it takes to tempt you out of spending retirement :D

Shane will be the one to blame for that ;):D.

I agree though, as soon as I look through 60, 68, 70, 82, 100 degrees, I'll just want more and more. Perhaps I should accept it and start saving 80% of what I don't need to live on from my paycheck each month for astronomy... I'll have enough for Naglers 2nd hand in time for the Winter :).

It's when you start to think that a 12mm Nagler can replace all of the plossls from 11mm - 20mm, and the spending seems to make sense. icon_scratch.gif

This is worry time. ;):D

Replace is such a messy word. I'd rather keep my plossls for traveling kit (thus making it even more expensive :D).

my spending days are over too although I'd like to replace my Castell filters with Astronomik some day and possibly upgrade my focusers, and convert my 16" to a truss system, and make a new observing chair, and make a new eyepiece case and maybe buy a dedicated solar scope and.............

my spending days are over too although I'd like to replace my Castell filters with Astronomik some day and possibly upgrade my focusers, and convert my 16" to a truss system, and make a new observing chair, and make a new eyepiece case and maybe buy a dedicated solar scope and.............

I thought you were only going to have 3 scopes Shane :evil:.

Any upgrades to existing equipment is not counted as spending, they are simply that, upgrades.

So my spending days are also done, just a feather touch focuser & Astrodon 3nm filter upgrade planned. :o

I actually feel that I've completed my eyepiece collection now and I feel my 3 scopes do what I want within the constraints of my observing circumstances.

Any further purchases will be in the interests of curiosity rather than need :smiley:

I actually feel that I've completed my eyepiece collection now and I feel my 3 scopes do what I want within the constraints of my observing circumstances.

Any further purchases will be in the interests of curiosity rather than need :smiley:

I'm sure you have John, you have a large collection of eyepieces.

Mind you, Alan probably has a slightly larger collection still, but I don't think he thinks he's anywhere near done :evil: ...

I'm sure you have John, you have a large collection of eyepieces.

Mind you, Alan probably has a slightly larger collection still, but I don't think he thinks he's anywhere near done :evil: ...

I think you will have more than me, when your planned ones are added, unless you plan to jettison some.

I think you will have more than me, when your planned ones are added, unless you plan to jettison some.

After these (assuming I don't sell any on) I'll have:

15 eyepieces, 1 barlow, 1 diagonal, 4 filters. So yes, quite a few!

Contemplating Orthos too :rolleyes:. Not anytime soon though, but still...

There is always something else. :embarassed:

Absolutely! I haven't finished yet - that's for sure :D Well, having said that, I can't afford anything expensive for a while - I need to pay off my current debt. I don't like being in debt (but I certainly DO like the Atik 460EX mono CCD that it bought :D)

I take it you just forgot to put a Baader Cool Ceramic Wedge on your kit list? I mean, you certainly have one, right? Of course, silly me...

And then there's...

Olly

Yes - well, unless I'm going to use it with my ED80 there's no point because it doesn't work with Newts ;).

The list goes on, should I want it too:

HEQ-5 Synscan

FF/FR for ED80

Rest of imaging kit for the ED80 / HEQ-5 combo

Mono CCD

Entire TeleVue Delos Line

Entire TeleVue Nagler Line

Entire TeleVue Ethos Line

New Scope (maybe a C8 or C9.25)

New Mount (maybe an NEQ-6 / Mesu)

New Scope (Tak FSQ-85)

etc....

That's probably at least £10k there that I could quite easily feel I needed to spend :rolleyes:

My list is a bit shorter - at present anyway :D

EQ8 mount.

Eprit 80 ED x2

Oh and another Atik 460EX of course :D

And I think I'll throw in a Baader Cool Ceramic Wedge as well and take a look at the sun as a change from all this nighttime imaging :D

Archived