92335031_Perseidsmeteorshowerbanner.jpg.f082cb58353bce3cc854fb958f76fc98.jpg

Observing spots near Glasgow

Hi All,

First off... sorry if this has been posted somewhere already however i couldn’t seem to find any info on it.

Also thanks for all the great info on this site! it has helped me greatly! I only started astronomy back in Feb this year and I feel I have learned a huge amount since then by reading this site.

I have recently upgraded my scope (third scope so far) to a Meade ETX 125. The main reason for picking this scope was its portability and the fact it can fit into my stupidly small car securely with the foamed case it comes with. So far I have been limited to my back garden for viewing. This brings several problems… Light pollution is brutal, I have very limited sky to look at due to my house and other houses blocking most of the sky. I only have a view to the north / west…which is the direction of Glasgow and at the moment it seems there is never any darkness in this direction even at 1am. Just orange skies at best! Cant wait for the winter... thats a sentence i never thought i would say :grin:

So my question to you guys is…is there any good dark locations around Glasgow (preferably south of Glasgow) I could go to get dark skies?

I was able to find M13 no problem the other night from my garden (almost shat myself when I seen it!) however trying to find anything else has proved very difficult. Even with a pretty accurate alignment!

Also a bit random… but I was wondering when is best to view Saturn? Due to my constraints above I have never had an opportunity to try and view it. :huh:

Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

You could try the campsie hills...Galloway forest darksite...I'm out in cumbernauld myself and lp bad here too...think you have gone the right way with the etx. .mayI ssuggest looking at the video section using a converted cctv camera better in lp areas and can reach 1 to 1.5 mag further than visual on a scope..Davy

hi chris theres a couple i use , mugdock country park to north of glasgow , muirshiel country park [just by loch winnoch [3 miles ] is very dark [i have used this just before the visitor centre and also along the walk.path to the mines [hope you dont spook easy ] theres barrhead dams [balgray reservoir which has lp towards glasow but south and west are no bad ] ther's also the central scotland observers who use harrperig reservoir in livingston [ i go over 3-4 times during the season] and then theres the astronomical society of glasgow who have use of the scope at glasgow science park on maryhill road [2 times a month [there is a £15 membership fee but that covers the observatory and meetings etc for a year ] where in glasgow are you?i stay in cardonald so i'm out quite a lot as lp is poor . i have the skymak 127 goto and had the ext 90 [great scope] i also have a 10" dob

Edited by dtr42

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions I will look into them!

I also found something interesting… SDSO its down near Galloway forest which you mentioned Davy.

It opened in November apparently…sounds pretty cool! http://www.scottishdarkskyobservatory.co.uk/the-sdso-in-the-news/

I might pay a visit to this place at some point!

I also read somewhere that Eaglesham moors is meant to be quite good and dark skies and only 5 minutes down the road so might check that out too.

Cheers for the advice dtr42!

I had a look at the ASG site and sent them an email to get some more details on what they do etc. Seems nothing happens until September. But sounds like something I will join as I need all the help I can get.

I’m in East Kilbride mate. I was very close to buying a skymax 127 how do you like it? I would love a big monster dob too but they just look very impractical for my needs.

Davy – about the CCTV camera… I like this idea! I have been looking into getting something like this. Have been reading about how to mod xbox cameras but I think I will just try and pick up one that someone has already done themselfs :laugh:

Chris,

As Davy says, hook up with the Central Scotland Observers Group (google CSOG) As well as Harperrig near Livingston, we have met at Loudoun Hill which isn't too far from EK.

If you do get out with the group, you will get a peek through the monster Dob you mentioned above, some nights you might see from 8" all the way upto 16" Dobs all lined up :laugh:

L.

Hi Chris..the Xbox is a doddle to mod all you need is the nose cone and a ir blocking lens the one for the philips spc900 fits the Xbox one you cut the nose section from the camera you can tape over the light from camera or open up the case and crack the leds....the lux level is not that good ..good for the moon and planets. .a Samsung scb2000 has a very low lux level and can give near live views of deep sky objects. ..this I would recommend. Davy.....pm if you would like more info or advice.

Hi Lorne ok thanks will check that out too! sounds interesting. haha that sounds cool with them all lined up i defo need to have a look through one of these things! :) nice scope btw!!

dtr42 the wind farm... me and a mate were talking about that the other day. We kinda agreed it would be too windy tho haha. I guess it would be fine on a calm night tho.

Davy thanks a lot. Sounds like you know what your doing! Expect a pm shortly with 400 questions :)

Hi Chris,

As already mentioned there's a fairly active observing group (CSOG) if your interested in getting out observing with like mined folk. You've also found the SDSO website, I'd highly recommend a visit if you get a chance, we had a group visit (CSOG) a few months back the facilities are amazing and Robbie is a great host. We'll definitely be heading back down again when the dark skies return, you'd be more than welcome to come along if you like. :smiley:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I will check it out and join when i can :) Glad you liked SDSO it does sound cool give me a shout when your going! Question tho... do you take your own scope up there with you too or is there no point as you can use the big scopes up there? read something about 50 quid an hour to hire a beast of a scope. Sounds interesting :)

Also i read that the roads to get there are not the best? how bad are we talking? full-on mud roads or what? Does it require a 4x4?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I will check it out and join when i can :) Glad you liked SDSO it does sound cool give me a shout when your going! Question tho... do you take your own scope up there with you too or is there no point as you can use the big scopes up there? read something about 50 quid an hour to hire a beast of a scope. Sounds interesting :)

Also i read that the roads to get there are not the best? how bad are we talking? full-on mud roads or what? Does it require a 4x4?

Cheers

Chris

poor road very bumpy so low height clearance cars are at risk of loosing exhausts , you can hire the scope [we went on a group tour and for £10 a head was good got to look through the 14" ] and you can bring your own theirs a viewing platform provided ]again it costs a wee bit of money but still good value Edited by dtr42