Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Happy to be here

jason e walker

I have been interested in the sky for as long as I can remember. I received a tiny Newtonian telescope as a Christmas gift when I was 7 years old. It was poorly mounted and hard to use, but I thought it was the greatest thing in the world. In my mid-teens, I built a 6-inch, f/10 reflector, including grinding and polishing the mirror. I still have the telescope. I eventually became a meteorologist and worked for 38 years in the field. I have recently retired, and now have time and opportunity to observe. I currently use a 30-cm Orion Dobsonian, a 90-mm short-tube refractor, and a Rainbow Optics spectroscope. I am also an avid DSLR photographer, and am learning to get good wide-field photographs of the night sky. I am finding photography through telescopes challenging, and I look forward to learning from the group.

Welcome to SGL Jason and best wishes for your retirement.

Great forum and community here and sounds like you have a lot of experience to share.

Hope you can escape the washington LP and find some decent dark skies.

Hi Jason and welcome to SGL from across the pond, now you have retired you will wonder how on earth you ever had time to fit in going to work lol. As it happens my very close friend who is on work exchange with the Navy/Mil, is living in Alexandria and she loves it, enjoy your retirement and your Astronomy :)

Archived