Ceph and Cass

cat among pigeons

shirva

Ok guys new topic going the way the forum is shaping up.....

Camera choice and reason why..he he

Loadstar or mammut...have fun and play nice..and there's only a tenner between them..Davy

Edited by shirva

Nice topic Davy

I guess we need input from owners of the cameras.

Nytecam has the Lodestar and Alan has a Mammut and there may be other users out there. Mind you Alan said that he had difficulty getting a colour Mammut.

Both use the same sensor but the Mammut has cooling so may have an advantage.

There may be differences in driver capability and Sofware support that also needs to be considered. Both have ASCOM drivers so you are not limited to manufacturer specific tools.

Looking forward to seeing how this thread develops.

Paul

Good question. For me it was the SX Lodestar, but that was pretty much based on one thing, SX website has the USB protocol, hence I can make my own software easily for it (OSX).

The cooling on the Mammut is a great feature though. I have been half thinking about designs for a peltier cooler for the Lodestar, but nothing concrete.

Atik Titan is a good contender too!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the specs the Titan looks like a good contender - set point cooling similar to the Mammut. Sony ExView Sensor but only 1/3" compared to the 1/2" in the Mammut and Lodestar.

Not sure what capture modes the software supports.

As Nytecam said - pretty much any CCD can be used in a short capture mode to give near real time video - the sensitivity and noise performance will dictate how good the results look with little or no processing.

HTH

Paul

I managed to have a play with the Lodestar (mono) last night - it is one sensitive little beast. As I do not yet have a driven mount, I just attached as 12mm TV lens to it and aimed it upwards. In a 10 second exposure the frame was full of stars. The noise isn't bad either, considering it is uncooled and was nice and warm last night (I was observing in a T-shirt and shorts after midnight). A few darks will take care of the noise anyway.

I put it in my scope and got a shot of Polaris - anything else and (at 1200mm FL) the image is just star trails after more than 200ms exposure. I found I needed to use my 2" extension tube to get it to focus. This is no problem as my eyepieces require the same as well so actually works out rather convenient. I might attach a rubber end stop to the Lodestar though - if I fumble the locking screws the Lodestar might take a gravity assisted trip down the main OTA... Not good...

I am cracking on with the live view software for the Lodestar, time is the main killer at the moment!.