Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SBIG self-guiding

romi

Hi there,

The SBIG STT-8300M seems to be extremely interesting with its FW8G and self-guiding option so that second CCD is BEFORE the camera and Filter Wheel. However, the KAF-8300 is only 18mm x 13.6mm. I wonder if similar facility is compatible with a larger CCD (such as the KAF-16803 which is 37mm x 37mm) or if the FW8G with Self-Guiding can be attached to the SBIG STX-16803.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Romi

• 2 weeks later...

According to SBig's website the KAF-16803 requires the FW5-STX to do self guiding with the STX-16803. That would then mean you are limited to 5 filters so not LRGB and narrowband at the same time. Too bad that SBig doesn't seem to have the documentation for the FW5-STX.

Hi Guys,

It tuns that SBIG does have a solution. They claim that the STX-16803 Camera + FW7-STX filter wheel, in addition to their STX Remote Guide Head and a M-MOAG unit from Astrodon, would do the job.

In fact, one of our team is currently investigating this closely with an SBIG representative and if indeed proves correct, we may go for it (VERY high-eng pricing though..).

I will keep you posted.

Romi

Yes, SBig show the FW7-STX as th other filter wheel for the camera but I'd thought that you wanted to use the on-board guide chip rather than the remote guide head and MOAG. If you're going to need tose too the whole package will certainly add up - £8.5K just for the imager and filter wheel, another £1k or so for the STX RGH and MOAG then the x50mm filters. What mount and OTA will the imaging package be attached to?

What SBIG says is that both the STT and the STXL have the option of self-guiding in front of the filter, only the STT and the STXL have it combined into the FW and the STX does not.

However, the same functionality may be acjieved by adding the MOAG (according to SBIG).

The mount is the Paramount ME II from BisqueSW and we investigate the options offered by both PlaneWave and AG Optical for their 17'' OTAs.

Are you imaging?

Romi

Archived