Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomer

Paul and Chrissy

Hi everyone. The wife and l have started star gazing after looking through a £20 little plastic telescope. We bought this for one of the grandchildren and were hooked. Our first scope was a Celestron C6RGT. The telescope was fantastic, but a little larger than the wife had expected. The CG5 mount that came with it was nothing but trouble from the day we had it. After two returns to the importer, we gave up all hope and changed to a CGEM. What a monster mount. I love engineering and the wife thinks l am mad. As you have probably concluded, l don't do things by halves, like to get things that do the job well. The CG5 really put a dampener on the stargazing excitement for while. Fighting for hours trying to get the stupid thing to work leaves you very frustrated. Anyway. After having the C6R yard cannon for about a year, we decided that a little more petit telescope would be better. I did not want to compromise on quality though. So. I have just received a Takahashi TSA102s. I am now broke, but what a beautifully made telescope. Need some dark sky's now to test her out properly. I think that's about it up to the moment. Will come back with my thoughts on the Tak compared to the C6R when we have had some quality time viewing.

looking forward to being a member of your group.

Paul and Chrissy.

Hi Paul and Chrissy, welcome to SGL, As a retired Eng I can understand your where you are coming from, if you want quality, then you have to dig deep into your pocket,. Your new Tak 102s should give very rewarding views and on nights of very good seeing you should be able to wind up the mag a little more. Will not have the light gathering power of your C6, but should certainly deliver some crisp images. Of course you have started the ball rolling now, so you will have to raid the Piggy bank and obtain some TeleVue eye pieces to go with new scope, enjoy :)

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

I think it's so good when husband and wife enjoy this great hobby,

you can buy the best of everything and not get earache every time

a parcel arrives, your scope is very good, you will both have lot's of

enjoyment and lot's of arguments over who's turn it is next, do you

have a rota, (only joking), my wife has a slight interest and likes to

look through my scope occasionally, thank goodness it's only occa.....

anyway enjoy this forum and your scope.

Clear Sky's

Hi John and others. Thanks for the warm welcome. I have noticed the reduced light gathering power of the Tak, but what it does gather is crystal clear even during these couple of hazy evenings we have had. Can't wait for some clearer nights to expose its real potential. Most of my interest has been cantered around our solar system and the moon. That's one reason why we opted for a smaller objective with good resolving detail.

clear sky's. Paul and Chrissy

Archived