Narrowband

What time should I be going out?

Hi gang,

It's been a couple of months since I've been out due to life getting in the way, so I'm a bit out of the loop. With it being nice and bright at the moment what time am I roughly looking at for some decent seeing? On the plus side i'll have a nice casual setting up session. I'm around the Cambridge area btw. Thanks in advance

You are looking at 12:00 to 02:00 for anything half dark, but it is getting better, noticed that I am switching lights on about 9:30 now was 10:00 a few weeks back. You could get some fair observing in from 11:00 I suppose but if you are looking for those faint hard to find DSO's don't expect too much.

Seeing your location what is Grafham water like for observing?

Wondering if the car parks are available and free after some time in the evening.

Could be an idea for a few people to meet up

I'm not that far from you at Cambridge and for some time now although the day time has been clear it has gradually become overcast as the evening wears on.

For example last night I was sitting in the lounge reading when my wife came in at about 10.15pm and asked if I was going out, I said just look out the window, you could just about see the moon behind a layer of cloud and it was like this over most of the sky. It has been like this for the last week or so.

In West Yorkshire around midnight to 2am is good for deep sky if it's a transparent moonless night. At times like this I wish I was back in Hampshire!

i spend the week in west yorks and the weekend in hampshire,you're not missing anything at this time of year

Been pretty neat here the last few days. Very stable seeing and the Milky Way overhead by midnight. What's spoiling it is this high haze that throws up light from the town and streetlights.

It's very comforting to see the nights drawing in and observe in a t shirt,

Nick.

So it'll be around a week here. Good to know. I was hoping to get a decent stint before midnight but it looks unlikely at best. Best start planning. Thanks chaps

as you say about a week, by then the moon will spoill it so buy the time new moon comes around it will be good

Archived