Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher finder scope

Hello,

i bought a used Skywatcher 8" which came with a 8x50 right angle finder scope, yet after working feverishly with it I can't get it close to my ( main tube) target. I tried setting it max to the right and lower, yet I'm at the maximum allowed position. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys checked the o-ring, everything looks great. Tried to re-align the finder and my trouble remains, getting discouraged and wondering if I should have bought an Orion although the Skywatcher appeared nearly new.

Is it possible the Skywatcher 8" optical tube is out of collimation?

If the primary is not aligned with the tube axis then there may not be enough adjustment in the right angled finder alignment screws to compensate.

Also the screws holding the finder scope bracket to the optical tube can be just a bit smaller than the holes in the tube, a knock to the finder may cause the bracket to shift away from the tube axis.

William.

I wouldn't give up on the SW200 just yet, certainly not based on the uncooperativeness of a finder scope. I don't have that particular finder scope, but once you've got everything aligned properly, it will be well worth it.

Oddsocks is probably correct, although I was able to observe the moon and Saturn in perfect focus last night. With no experience in collimation adjustment I must now learn how to get good at it, although it seems daunting after reading the manual! Thanks folks!

This may sound a silly question, but have you got the finder base on the correct way? And is the finder seated into its little mount?

A lot of the time, taking a step back and a deep breathe can often let you see where the problem is as it could be something your overlooking by accident.

If you reset all adjusting screws of the finder to their mid position, then recheck the finder scope to see if it aligns anywhere near the central axis of the scope, you will probably find that you may have to slacken the finder base and readjust, even using a little packing if necessary, to bring the whole unit somewhere back on line. then you may find that final adjustment with the finder screws should achieve what you want :)

Hello Robin, of course you are right to say that a telrad is not the answer everything.

I was going on my own experience using a well aligned 9x50 finder on an 120 ed.

It was a struggle for me to get the target into the finder in the first place.

Using the telrad has made targeting so much easier.

Avtar

Hi Avtar, it was not a criticism, as I know they are very good, my preference though is a 9x50 RACI finder. I suppose we all have our preferences and it is good to share experiences. Me, I am 63 and slightly disabled (from a stroke) and the great thing about the RACI is that I don't have to twist round or get to look up the tube length to see the image.

Hi Robin, No worries, it wasn't taken as a criticism. As you say we all have our preferences and it's good to share our

experiences.

Joining sgl was the best thing I did as I have learnt a lot in the short time I have been a member.

Avtar

Oddsocks is probably correct, although I was able to observe the moon and Saturn in perfect focus last night. With no experience in collimation adjustment I must now learn how to get good at it, although it seems daunting after reading the manual! Thanks folks!

I had the folks at my local telescope shop demonstrate collimation when I bought my laser collimator, and on my first try out in the garden, I completed the process in under two minutes. The second attempt was quicker and my collimation was spot on. I recommend getting someone to go through the procedure with you once, maybe at a telescope shop or at a star party, and you will pick it up quickly.

Archived