Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusmax and focusing stars in H-alpha - help!

Interesting thread & very timely for me.. Hope the OP doesn't mind if I jump in whilst the experts are here..? :smiley:

I've recently picked up a ZS71 with a stepper motor attached which I'm told will work with Focusmax (it certainly works with the controller build into my MountHubPro). My ultimate aim is total automation of the obsy so before I add steppers (my other is DC) to the rest I want to make the right software choice from the start.

So, from what I've read am I right in thinking that there are only 2 choices available to me for driving FocusMax as part of my quest for total automation.

1) MaximDL

2) CCD Autopilot

And... ACP as mentioned, still requires hooking into one of the above to utilise FocusMax? (Isn't ACP what iTelescope uses?)

I'd like to get this clear in my head as several "cheaper" mistakes along the way work out more costly than getting it right first time...(ACP?) So I'd like to be clear as to the path to take. I like the sound of using ACP but if CCD AutoPilot/MaxinDL are required then that's the way to go first anyway?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Focusmax needs MaximDL (or CCDSoft, which is discontinued). If you want to use the Acquirestar function (and you do) you also need Pinpoint astrometric engine.

CCD Autopilot has nothing to do with the focusing but can use Focusmax or Maxim's own focusing routine for autofocus.

The difference between CCD Autopilot and ACP is that the latter runs completely on its own for years on end, while the former runs a night at a time. Eventually, CCD AP will also run several nights eventually but lacks proper scheduling.

/p

If you buy ACP you also get Pinpoint included but ACP is the more expensive option.

I have FocusMax with maxim all controlled by ACP this is by no means cheap and I got the internet ACP licence so that I can control it all via a web browser off of the internet (you don´t need this for local web browser control and can connect to the observatory computer locally and use it from there).

For focusing ACP picks a correct value star near to my target, slews to it, commands focusmax to do the focus and when its finished gos back to the target. I do like ACP its a great piece of software but if you are looking for more economical then CCD commander may be the option to look at.

The thing I like is I build a Plan using an ACP tool and I just run it for the night and don´t worry about whats going on. For the focusing I set it to focus before every filter change and if there is a change in FWHM value by a certain percentage.

I´d advise downloading all the demos of the software you could afford and try them out (there´s a lot to learn and read)

Many excellent comments on here - good information & guiders.

My first efforts at autofocus control will be using Maxim/Focusmax coupled up to either CCD Commander or CCD Autopilot - this looks to be the cheapest route in at the moment. I don't mind setting up the programmes each night. If I have major woes with these then I'll consider ACP, it's pricey though, the starting package is $695...

Martin

Ah.. Thanks for putting me straight there

Right so Maxim is the "only" interface to FocusMax, so that's a must to start with then there's no choice. So that will be my first step to take. Seems a bit of a waste to have to licence it to the obsy puter. I won't use a lot of the processing functions as I process with the MacPro in the house.

The next layer is automation control via ACP or the CCD suite. I already have remote power control & IP camera monitoring capability so ACP Personal Internet looks like a candidate. Although I guess I could VPN into the server and appear as a local user if I wanted to save $200?

I shall have a look at Maxim this weekend then.. Thanks all for your help :icon_salut:

Ah.. Thanks for putting me straight there

The next layer is automation control via ACP or the CCD suite. I already have remote power control & IP camera monitoring capability so ACP Personal Internet looks like a candidate. Although I guess I could VPN into the server and appear as a local user if I wanted to save $200?

Exactly. I have the internet license and a dyndns.net domain address set up linked to my router (router sends it the ip address)

But save 200 and use teamviewer for example.

I do like the acp web interface directly....less hassle.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

A timely thread as I will be starting (again) to investigate FM with my RC and Baader Steel Drive.

Looks like there is a new version of FM I need to download....

I might also invest in the full PP licence as well..

Following this very closely :) Looks like it will have to wait a while until I have some funds - rather a lot of funds it seems :D

I forgot to mention the cost of maxim dl before when answering your other thread about focusmax. I had to buy it for acp to get it all fully automated so keep forgetting igs quite expensive if you dont already have it.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

I forgot to mention the cost of maxim dl before when answering your other thread about focusmax. I had to buy it for acp to get it all fully automated so keep forgetting igs quite expensive if you dont already have it.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

sry to go a bit O/T.. Reading through the Maxim blurb It seems the Pro version @499 D/L is the minimum to support CCD's. Do you use maxpoint? I'm used to using Astrotortilla to get me on target & match previous nights subs, I take it plate solving in Maxim is similar? so would I really want maxpoint too at $100 on top?

Maxpoint adds pointing accuracy and not tracking accuracy. You get pointing accuracy by plate solving instead and skip the maxpoint stuff.

Or, you have a mount that includes the ability to keep a pointing - and tracking - model in mount.

/per

Maxpoint adds pointing accuracy and not tracking accuracy. You get pointing accuracy by plate solving instead and skip the maxpoint stuff.

Or, you have a mount that includes the ability to keep a pointing - and tracking - model in mount.

/per

Thanks Per I thought as much. That $100 saving can go towards the Pinpoint license then.. hmm I can see me having to upgrade the Obsy puter from the netbook at this rate too.

I've only just seen this post, and it interests me. I should like to know , when using Maxim DL and Focusmax, is it possible to autofocus between groups of images using a script in the autosave feature of Maxim?

I presume focusing in Maxim should be set for the Focusmax hub, with the particular focuser type set in Focusmax. It would be useful to set the system up to take a series of images and (for example) to automatically refocus at each filter change. Is this possible? I would be very grateful for any advice on this.

Chris

Chris

Yes it is, is the short answer. However, you will need to be proficient in VB/VBA to write the scripts in Maxim, if you are not using automation tools.

Sp@ce_d - just to clarify a point... Maxim is 'an' interface to FocusMax, not 'the' interface. CCD Commander can utilise FocusMax but does it natively, it does not use Maxim to access FocusMax.

For info, I have CCD Commander, Maxim DL, TheSky6 and will be implementing FocusMax with the full PinPoint over the next few days...

Found this on FocusMax - http://www.focusmax.org/Downloads/FocusMax%20Tutorials.pdf

Thanks Daz. I suspected that some expertise in script writing was required! Actually, I am surprised that this is not commonly available - after all, lots of people use Maxim, and quite a few of those probably use Focusmax. Any idea where I might find such a script?

Chris

Chris

Yes it is, is the short answer. However, you will need to be proficient in VB/VBA to write the scripts in Maxim, if you are not using automation tools.

Sp@ce_d - just to clarify a point... Maxim is 'an' interface to FocusMax, not 'the' interface. CCD Commander can utilise FocusMax but does it natively, it does not use Maxim to access FocusMax.

For info, I have CCD Commander, Maxim DL, TheSky6 and will be implementing FocusMax with the full PinPoint over the next few days...

Found this on FocusMax - http://www.focusmax....x Tutorials.pdf

Cheers for that Daz

Looks a useful guide and I'll take a look at CCD Commander too then. Which I've now worked out is nothing to do with CCDWare or CCDSoft (discontinued).. Phew all this CCD$ stuff is confusing. :eek:

FocusMax cannot use anything but CCDSoft or MaximDL to get to the camera it needs for focusing. In that sense, FocusMax USES MaximDL or CCDSoft. If CCD Commander is to use FocusMax, then FocusMax will need to use CCDSoft or MaximDL to get to the camera.

Funny, isn't it ;)

/per

Nope. Go with the flow. Get used to that 1990's, unresponsive when you're busy, ugly, cluttered and down-right poorly written software! I feel I am qualified to make that statement because I have actually produced astro software that is stable, responsive and only half-fails when it is dependant on MaximDL ;)

/per

Per - I have come to the same conclusion after many frustrating hours: yes, Focusmax USES Maxim. How nice it would be if Maxim USED Focusmax for focusing. I am still struggling with the scripting for Maxim autosave, at least now i can get FMx to start by using the sample script files from the FMx help. But I fear there is some way to go yet. I find it amazing that Maxim don't do this themselves, after all, FMx certainly promote the Maxim software.

Chris

Archived