Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power tanks

Hi all, I've just been looking at power tanks, celestron and sky watcher. As far as i can tell they are both exactly the same but with different names, obviously, and different price tags. I have a nexstar 127 SLT and would like to get one. Can i assume that the cheaper sky watcher one will run fine on my celestron scope? Stupid question i know but if i can spend less then that's a bonus.

Cheers

Yes they're the same thing, just rebadged.

I asked this same question two months ago and was recommended the Maplin 5-in-1 jumpstarter. I got it and it's working great, just remains to be seen as to its durability.

We do not have Maplin down here but I bought a power tank (PowerTech 6 in 1) from a local electrical and electronics store. Has 2 off 12 v sockets, lights, even a compressor.

I am using it with my EQ5 mount. Cost $119 (£75) as opposed to $300 from Celestron.

The Celestron and Skywatcher tanks are identical and in my opinion not as good and a lot more expensive (as in £/Amp hours) than the Maplin tanks. I have both a Skywatcher and a Maplin tank.

Also the Skywatcher/Celestron tanks can't pump your tyre up or start your car.

+1 on the maplin 5-in-1. £69.99 for 17Ah and I've never seen it drop below about 95% charge, with AZ Goto, 2 dew strips and a controller. And I plug my lappie in sometimes.

Brilliant.

+1 on the maplin 5-in-1. £69.99 for 17Ah and I've never seen it drop below about 95% charge, with AZ Goto, 2 dew strips and a controller. And I plug my lappie in sometimes.

Brilliant.

95%? you must have very short sessions :)

95%? you must have very short sessions :)

Normally start setup at about 9 pm. Done by about 2 or 3 a.m. I suppose if it's just powering two dew strips and the mount (which spends a lot of time just tracking) then there's probably not mega-current draw.

Hi,

I use the Skywatcher tank to power up the camera and a Maplin's 3 in 1 for the dew strips, I power the mount from a DC supply. I try to avoid the possibility of the camera and the mount sharing the same ground as it may cause a ground loop problem with most of the Chinese designed controller boards. The Tanks are good enough for about 8 hours of use and then they need a full recharge.

I would not even try and jump start a motorcycle with a Skywatcher Tank as the battery is even smaller than the one in my old alarm box, these units were mostly designed as a back up power for small security cameras. You can actually buy a Yuasa 7 Amph battery designed for running motors for less than £15.00 and it has valve regulated supply. These are higher quality than either Maplin's or SW tanks.

A.G

Archived