Two MaxVision 24mm 68 deg EPs in one BIG binocular: a quick daytime test

I just visited a local camera store who had a Quantum 6 100mm clone in their shop. It was an unmarked sample given to the Dutch Bynolyt distributor for evaluation (so probably subject to better QC than most). I asked if I could check it out, and they were kind enough to let me have a look outside, and test the two MaxVision 24mm 68 deg EPs in it. When removing the standard 20x EPs (which had showed a very nice, and comfortable view of houses in the distance), I noted a ring in the prism housing that would probably cause vignetting in the 24mm EPs. I inserted them anyway, and was pleasantly surprised. There was no apparent vignetting, and the image was sharp throughout (better than the standard 20x). I had no problems with the 50mm rear diameter of the EP. The only problem was that the undercut causes wobble. I must see how I can get these to work properly.

I did not buy the bins, because I will have to consider other options (and save!), but in principle, they work. This also means the 24mm 68 deg is suitable for binoviewers

Archived