SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Four Green Bottles

Pig

How long will we be able to see views such as the ice caps for ?

You have to wait for the next Martian opposition which is in April next year. The details will start to be visible as Mars approaches opposition and for a few weeks as it recedes. The 2018 opposition will be much better though as Mars disk gets around 35% larger at that one.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to wait for the next Martian opposition which is in April next year. The details will start to be visible as Mars approaches opposition and for a few weeks as it recedes. The 2018 opposition will be much better though as Mars disk gets around 35% larger at that one.

Exactly the right time to have a large SCT...

Shaun, fancy an upgrade to a C14 by then? :D

Exactly the right time to have a large SCT...

Or a 12" F/5.3 1/9th wave PV .987 Strehl dob on an equatorial platform :grin:

Actually my ED120 was giving some lovely views of Mars last time around so apertures not everything :smiley:

Actually my ED120 was giving some lovely views of Mars last time around so apertures not everything :smiley:

Perhaps I was trying to convince myself that I need a 14" SCT :D.

when was that john, last time around that is. i can remember the views and the ice caps through my bgos like it was yesterday but the dates no idea. i remember it was cold and in the south west and west when it was high and bright un aided but thats it. had a few vodkas noe==w so thinhs arnt that clear, just like these keys :grin:

when was that john, last time around that is. i can remember the views and the ice caps through my bgos like it was yesterday but the dates no idea. i remember it was cold and in the south west and west when it was high and bright un aided but thats it. had a few vodkas noe==w so thinhs arnt that clear, just like these keys :grin:

It was in March 2012 at the SGL star party and Mars had been at opposition a week or so earlier. Actually Mars will be on the agenda of the 2014 SGL Star Party as well of course.

It was in March 2012 at the SGL star party and Mars had been at opposition a week or so earlier. Actually Mars will be on the agenda of the 2014 SGL Star Party as well of course.

thought it was longer than that. roll on mars then lovely site. thanks for that john. sorry for going of topic pig with it being your post :smiley:

thought it was longer than that. roll on mars then lovely site. thanks for that john. sorry for going of topic pig with it being your post :smiley:

No worries, you carry on I don't own it :smiley: and its interesting stuff

• 7 months later...

The thing that strikes me most about this photo is the use of the original eyepiece packing. My "pick-and-pluck" foam is a right old state now, but it never occurred to me to use my original eyepiece packing inserts to tidy the whole arrangement up - nice one! :laugh:

Than you Jeremy,

TBH it didn't occur to me not to use it, I was lucky that they fit perfectly though.

BTW its 8 green bottles now all stored in their own packaging :laugh:

Archived