SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Four Green Bottles

Pig

Nice road test, glad you got some light through them :cool: you've got some useful FLs there too!

Saturn is about at the moment, but maybe this is jaded by the twilight up there at the moment? No matter, the king of planets will be back in our eyepieces in a while :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you should let me no when your heading up to wales and I will meet up with you :grin:

I would like to come to wales sometime soon. I will have to arrange trip with the Mrs . I almost booked my holiday there but I've ended up going to the Yorkshire moors :laugh:

Dunkster,

I just missed Saturn on the night, it was too close to the horizon by the time it had got dark enough, the light pollution stops any great seeing where I live. However I will catch it sometime this week peeping above the rooftops :smiley:

Dunkster,

I just missed Saturn on the night, it was too close to the horizon by the time it had got dark enough, the light pollution stops any great seeing where I live. However I will catch it sometime this week peeping above the rooftops :smiley:

:cool: good luck :)

Hello all

I finally got a chance to Barlow my new Delos eyepieces last night, I had to used the moon as the test object as Saturn was not in my line of sight. :laugh:

I managed to get 4 hours viewing :smiley:

All of the views stated below were crisp and bright from edge to edge, the 10mm did start to rainbow on the edges of the craters, this may have been down to the Excel ?? I simply don't know, but at 470 magnification this may be expected.

The 14mm used in line with my Excel 2 x Barlow worked a treat giving me 335 x magnification. The SCT standard focuser worked fine and views were crisp.

The 12mm used in line with my Excel 2 x Barlow worked a treat giving me 391 x magnification. However, I wouldn't be so confident of focus without the Baader Steeltrack Dual focusser.

The 10mm used in line with my Excel 2 x Barlow worked giving me 470 x magnification. focussing became tricky but using the Baader I was successful in the end.

This does make me wonder how much better would the views have been with the Powermate !!!!!!

The 17.3mm Delos was once again brilliant on DSO objects and will be my choice for future use, I would also have no hesitation in recommending this eyepiece, the Blinking Pan, Ring Nebula, and all the clusters looked fine and bright, I did struggled with M110 & 112, they were visible but very faint .

I am now convinced the 6mm & 8mm Delos will be fine in my scope and will be near future additions. :smiley: I will give the Powermate a miss as it will not be needed, I will also sell my current Excel Barlow :laugh:

This does make me wonder how much better would the views have been with the Powermate !!!!!!

I am now convinced the 6mm & 8mm Delos will be fine in my scope and will be near future additions. :smiley: I will give the Powermate a miss as it will not be needed, I will also sell my current Excel Barlow :laugh:

Great EPs Pig but your heart might be ruling you head. A x2.5 Powermate would essentially give you 4 more Delos. Think of the Powermate as a "beer mitt" keeping those ice cold bottles cool!!!

LOL I know where your coming from, but the weight may be an issue !!! what do you think ? :smiley:

That would also give me a focal length of 5875mm the 10mm and 12mm would only be used stand alone at that magnification :laugh:

I see what you mean about the lower two FLs. The Powermate doesn't add too much weight but the PM + Delos is a little unwieldy, a bit like the tail wagging the dog on a small scope. If you buy the 8mm and 6mm you know you'll want the 3.5 and 4.5mm to complete the set just in case you buy a smaller scope!

Hi Pig,glad to here that you are getting a chance to try out those great new Delos!And as far as adding the 8MM & 6MM,go for it,much better than barlowing I think & easier to use without it.The 8mm did well for me last nite,giving me the Double Double at a fairly low power,with a clean split.Great contrast too on the Ring,but by the time I posted a note,& ran back outside the clouds finished the session for me.So the extra 2 Delos makes more sense to me,& don't forget....a lot of people don't really say exactly how many eyepieces they own (or owned),so your collection is still modest-but of extremely high quality.

The Powermates are superb - apart from their weight and the additional magnification you would not know they were in the optical train.

I used a 2" 2x Powermate with my Ethos eyepieces to give 4mm and 3mm focal lengths for a while. I've opted for eyepieces in those focal lengths now just to save the weight and slight hassle of adding a further expensive optical component in the dark.

The Powermates are superb - apart from their weight and the additional magnification you would not know they were in the optical train.

I used a 2" 2x Powermate with my Ethos eyepieces to give 4mm and 3mm focal lengths for a while. I've opted for eyepieces in those focal lengths now just to save the weight and slight hassle of adding a further expensive optical component in the dark.

John I think I will follow your lead on this, I am am not sure if I will ever need any more magnification than that of a 6mm eyepiece :smiley:

Hi Pig,glad to here that you are getting a chance to try out those great new Delos!And as far as adding the 8MM & 6MM,go for it,much better than barlowing I think & easier to use without it.The 8mm did well for me last nite,giving me the Double Double at a fairly low power,with a clean split.Great contrast too on the Ring,but by the time I posted a note,& ran back outside the clouds finished the session for me.So the extra 2 Delos makes more sense to me,& don't forget....a lot of people don't really say exactly how many eyepieces they own (or owned),so your collection is still modest-but of extremely high quality.

I couldn't agree more with you on this :smiley: I got lucky with the clouds they didn't appear until about 3am, mind you they didn't hang around in completely covering the sky when they did show up :shocked:

I see what you mean about the lower two FLs. The Powermate doesn't add too much weight but the PM + Delos is a little unwieldy, a bit like the tail wagging the dog on a small scope. If you buy the 8mm and 6mm you know you'll want the 3.5 and 4.5mm to complete the set just in case you buy a smaller scope!

Im not sure about another scope Steve, well not just yet any how :evil:

hi pig, just read back on your posts and your buying a 8mm and a 6mm, i no the 8mm will come in handy but do you think the 6mm will be used good on the moon but not much else 390x mag is a lot. just a thought buddy

Hiya Faulksy,

Yes I agree it may be a waste, I will see what the 8mm performs like on Saturn before buying the 6mm :smiley: I can always Barlow my 12mm should the need arise.

If the 8mm gives good detail on Saturn I will get the 6mm because Jupiter will be even clearer when its back in the winter night sky. :grin:

Saturn takes higher magnifications than Jupiter. I find I can go to 300x or more with Saturn with my 12" dob but 250x seems to be the max thats useful on Jupiter before the contrast of the disk features starts diminishing.

Saturn takes higher magnifications than Jupiter. I find I can go to 300x or more with Saturn with my 12" dob but 250x seems to be the max thats useful on Jupiter before the contrast of the disk features starts diminishing.

Thank you John, that surprises me given the massive difference in their minimum distance to Earth . :smiley:

I have a friend with a 6mm Delos who I am hoping to meet at our local dark site this weekend, hopefully I can compare the 2 of them then as I should be taking delivery of my 8mm tomorrow :smiley:

Thank you John, that surprises me given the massive difference in their minimum distance to Earth . :smiley:

I think it's because the features that we look for in Saturn, in the main, are high contrast, e.g: the Cassini Division, ring shadows, moons, etc, etc. With the exception of the 4 bright moons, Jupiter viewing tends to focus on low contrast features within the cloudtops and these seem to get washed out when the magnification gets too high. Thats how I see it anyway.

Martian features are also subtle but the disk is so small at the moment that high power seems to be required just to get an image scale large enough to study. When it's disk is larger, in a few years time, the surface features will be visible in really quite small scopes at more modest magnifications. In my early days in the hobby back in the 1980's the Martian disk was large enough for me to be able to see and sketch some of the main features with just a 60mm refractor at 120x.

Archived