Narrowband

Four Green Bottles

Pig

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well They are all in a row & hopefully I will get to use them tonight

And if one green bottle should accidentally fall, they'll be three green bottles standing on the wall :evil::Envy: .

Are you going to add the 8mm and 6mm? Or do you think that's too much magnification because they would be useful for doubles work :).

Hiya Jonathan, I'm not sure if its worth it for now due to magnification. However, I will Barlow the 17 and 14 to see how it looks, if the result is good I will be no doubt tempted :grin:

The X-Cels are really nice EPs as well. In my f/10 the 18mm gave cracking views of the sun and the 25mm is a mighty fine EP in its own right and the Barlow does wonders splitting tricky doubles. The Delos ain't bad either :p

The X-Cels are really nice EPs as well. In my f/10 the 18mm gave cracking views of the sun and the 25mm is a mighty fine EP in its own right and the Barlow does wonders splitting tricky doubles. The Delos ain't bad either :p

I also rate the X-Cel LX range especially for what they cost, you cant really g wrong with them :-)

That's a great 4 pack :Envy: I'm looking to add to my single Delos soon and hopefully before the discount offer ends.

Yes its worth getting in whilst thy are on sale, I shouldn't have to buy any for quite a while now :grin:

That is one awesome set of eyepieces!You will enjoy these for many years to come,we live in a fortunate time,having the ability to own equipment like this.And the other good brands too....There is a reason my 23 & 10mm Luminos are still here,and Explore Scientific...my hats off to all these companies that allow us to enjoy our Space viewing adventure.

PS-Televue should be thanked for launching their Delos line-possibly the best eyepiece line yet-at a price that enables more of us to own them.

Nice one Shaun hope you get to use them tonight, bet they'll be cracking in your 925 :cool:

PS remember we said they were addictive :D

Yes I remember and I blame you all for the expense :grin: of course if you have any more tips I am all ears :grin:

Pig,

Nice set of eyepieces, congratulation times four, they line up better than mine as the 4.5 and 3.5 are longer ( if that's possible ). That's a grand even at sale prices so maybe it's time to lock the wallet, I have mine but the plastic card keeps getting out.

I don't recall anyone on site with a 17.3mm so maybe you will share your thought with us all.

Alan.

And if one green bottle should accidentally fall, they'll be three green bottles standing on the wall :evil: :Envy: .

And one amateur astronomer lying on the ground next to it crying. :grin:

Pig,

Nice set of eyepieces, congratulation times four, they line up better than mine as the 4.5 and 3.5 are longer ( if that's possible ). That's a grand even at sale prices so maybe it's time to lock the wallet, I have mine but the plastic card keeps getting out.

I don't recall anyone on site with a 17.3mm so maybe you will share your thought with us all.

Alan.

All being well I should be out at our dark sky location tonight Alan, if it should stay cloud free I will let you know how I got on with the 17.3mm tomorrow. I have tried the other 3 and they are fantastic even with the light skies we have at the moment :laugh: I cannot wait until it gets darker :smiley: they are going to be superb.

Dunkster,

I had a good night all in all and got back home about 3:15am.

A few notes below:

17.3mm Delos compared to my 18mm Xcel LX (requested by an SGL member) I know this is not a fair comparison due to the Delos being more than four times the cost.

Equipment: CPC 925 XLT (see my signature for other accessories used )

Observing conditions: Selected dark sky Location., summer night sky with very little light pollution.

Subject: Ring Nebula

The contrast of the Delos was demonic black compared to the milky blue of the Xcel, the ring nebula itself was a perfectly proportioned greyish white smoke ring when

viewed through the Delos, whereas through the Excel the nebula simply blended into the milky background contrast and was barely distinguishable.

Another notable observation was the number of other stars that could be seen in the surrounding view with the Delos compared to the Xcel.

All in all there is no competition between the two eyepieces and I do think this is to be expected.

Subjects: Ring Nebula, Hercules Cluster, Double Cluster, Polaris & Abireo (Beta Cygnus)

The Demonic black contrast observed with the 17.3mm Delos was also apparent with the 10,12 & 14mm on all the above objects. I am absolutely amazed how the definition just got better with each step up in magnification. Even with the 10mm the Albireo Twins did not distort but simply got redder, bluer and bigger at the cost of visible area of course.

My only disappointment of the night was not having any planets available to try out the Delli (collective term for Delos) in line with my Barlow, this would have helped determine the limit of magnification when used with my scope.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Awesome to here the results.......but not suprising given the quality of your equipment.Can I ask you Shaun what magnification and exit pupils do your Delos turn out to be in your CPC 925?I keep track of details like this-it is my nature,and I find doing so helps to understand the equipment and its relationship to what we see.In particular what is the highest exit pupil you can use in reasonably dark skies-still keeping sky black?

nice short review sounded like you had a good night though

Faulksy,

I met up with 2 local guys at the dark sky location about 10 miles away from me, it makes a big difference to the experience when there are a few of you. :smiley:

Not only do they take the mick but you get to learn new stuff :grin:

Gerry,

My scope is f10

Eyepiece focal length / Telescope f/# = exit pupil

Eyepiece = 17.3mm / f10 = 1.73mm exit pupil, and so on.

:grin:

Thanks Shaun,I bet your going to love 17.3 & 14mm on DSO.If I'm right your focal length is 2350mm so then 17.3mm=136x & 14m=168,1.73mm & 1.4mm exits,Can't wait to here more reports! :rolleyes:

Thanks Shaun,I bet your going to love 17.3 & 14mm on DSO.If I'm right your focal length is 2350mm so then 17.3mm=136x & 14m=168,1.73mm & 1.4mm exits,Can't wait to here more reports! :rolleyes:

I will let you know how the Delos perform with my Barlow as soon as I get the opportunity :smiley:

Faulksy,

I met up with 2 local guys at the dark sky location about 10 miles away from me, it makes a big difference to the experience when there are a few of you. :smiley:

Not only do they take the mick but you get to learn new stuff :grin:

you should let me no when your heading up to wales and I will meet up with you :grin:

Archived