Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

andrew63

Glorious Sagittarius !

For those lucky enough to have a clear southern horizon - might be a good time to add to your Messier list ! A lot of these objects can be seen in binoculars if struggling for a good vantage point.

Astronomy Picture of the Day

andrew

this is area my main target for tonight - not even seen the constellation before so here's hoping! mmmm dark peak district and a good horizon - just need the haze to clear........

Best of luck Shane - look forward to the report !

Yup, did this last weekend! Struggled to see anything below Dec -30 though, which is a shame as that includes M54, M55, M70, M69, M6 and M7. Messier must have had a tall tripod and ladder to see that far south; I'm beginning to wonder about how to see it. Might go out and have another try tomorrow night, if clear (reason being that hopefully I have a UHC filter arriving today as a result of the all the nebulae last weekend!)

I hope it's clear for you Shane, you're in for a treat!

I've been scouting around where I live for a suitable spot to view this constellation and associated delights.

Anything below -20 deg might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned, what with houses, trees and the curse of the orange glow

You need a good southern horizon ands dark sky/big scope to really get the best of some of those nebulae, but that whole area of Sagittarius and Scorpious is teaming with bright and fuzzy patches to be explored :cool:

Had a look at this cracking area on monday night down at Cooden beach on the south coast. Gorgeous!! a bit of sea haze but way more than I can see at home. I am looking at going back before too long when the nights have darkened a little more.

well, I have still never seen the constellations but did manage to see most of the main attractions through the murk: