SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seymour Solar Filter

Pig

Does anyone have any experience with the Seymour solar filters ? I am thinking of purchasing one but would like to know if anyone else has one and if so what is the performance like ? I will only get the type that fits onto the front of the scope ----- Shaun :smiley: the link is below http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/seymour-solar-sf1075-10-75in-type-2-solar-filter_d5644.html

Seen various reviews and images on Cloudy Nights , personally I'd go with the Baader film .

For that unnatural orange look you can always add a filter on the back end , and for £55.00 you can get a 500mm x 1000mm roll of Baader.

Steve thank you, I had the film type with my last scope, I kept tearing it accidently so I thought the glass would be a better option for my sausage fingers, :smiley: I don't mind to much about the orange colour as long as the detail of the sun spots are not compromised.

I have a similar filter from Thousand Oaks for my C8, and it is quite good, but when I bought it the solar films were not as durable as the current ones. I have only used Baader Solar film on the kids' mini-Dob, and it is nice and sharp. The C8 with its glass filter is better, but probably mainly because the mini-Dob had some collimation issues.

I now use a Herschel wedge on my 80mm and that seems to be the sharpest solution

The 'crumpled' nature will have no effect , unless it's been really scrunched up.

I think the main problem with the glass filters is the less than perfect (optically) glass that is used , and the fact that they are coated on one side only making them more susceptible to pin-holes and damage ( and they don't like being dropped ... :p )

A wedge is the way to go ideally provided you're using a refractor , you cannot use them on reflectors or Maks or SCT's.

Archived