SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

nerd error alert

coppernob

Ive done the same. Not the best use of a scope but its ok. What puzzled me was that 5 mins later,the 8se was standing on the floor and there was a small refractor standing on the table where the 8se had just been.

p.s.~~~the 8se wasnt even plugged into any power source.

Not only that but he supposedly showed his girlfriend the ISS with it! That either took a lot of planning or luck. As an astrophysicist he should know better. They don't get much wrong on that program but telescopes seem to escape the otherwise perfect detail.

Not only that but he supposedly showed his girlfriend the ISS with it! That either took a lot of planning or luck. As an astrophysicist he should know better. They don't get much wrong on that program but telescopes seem to escape the otherwise perfect detail.

True. I couldnt remember exactly what they were looking at but now you mention it.

The ISS just happened to be passing over at the same time? and they managed to see it with an 8SE that wasn't even tracking. It wouldnt even be possible to track it with an 8se because the slewing speed is too slow.

As Sheldon would say "i look at you in disbelief,raise my eyes upwards and say to you in the strongest possible terms...............TUT TUT".

Or something similar.

I think they were actually looking at Venus (again quite unbelievable given the time of day and angle of scope) and Raj knew the exact moment the ISS would pass so he pointed it out.

I have bored my wife before by pointing out the indoor telescopes and trying to explain why they wouldn't work so you can imagine how much she cared about being able to see the ISS!

Maybe Raj was trying his luck to seem clever to his new girlfriend. I kinda feel sorry for him.....

My daughters were watching Horrible Histories yesterday, section on Ancient Greek science (In the style of 'Wonders of the Universe'). When they said something along the lines of "We Greeks knew that the sun is at the centre of the Milky Way) I heard a grumpy voice from the sofa say "Well THAT's not right!!" I'm growing a nerd :grin:

Archived