SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ES 100° 25mm

Anyone have/tried one of these?im considerjng getting rid of my ES 82° 30/18/14/8.8/6.7mm ep's and replacing them with the 25/20/14/9mm 100° and a 2" ES focal extender but not seen any reviews of the 25mm.may keep the 30mm 82° andjst get the 20,14 and 9mm 100° and the focal extender.ideas?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don Pensack posted a review on Cloudy Nights a while back but I can't seem to find the correct thread? Dunkster hopefully will chime in at some point though, he's the only SGL member I know of that has one.

I think one of the reasons they are not writen about much is they seem to about as rare as one legged horses winning the Grand National. One site member I know that has one got it when he was in the States, I don't believe he has had much chance to use it yet but tells me its very good indeed.

Has anyone seen them stocked in the UK yet?

Alan

I have a 16" F4.5 and I have the ES 30 82*, ES 20+14 100* and loe them. The exit pupil on the 30m is probably on the high side at 6.66 but I have to say I like that EP. The 20 and 14mm are excellent. Not sure I'll bother with the 9mm, I'll keep the 11mm 82*. I got the GSO 2" barlow and find it very good getting a 7mm with the 14mm. Pretty happy all round. Just got a Pentax 8.5 XL for x215 on planets

Barry

ps the price of that 25mm is bananas!

What do you think of the 14mm Bart? Very tempted if I can get someone to bring one back from the US.

Love it. Really do. Its my Galaxy buddy at x130 in my 16" and x90 in the 10"

Barry

Im thinking of the 20/14/9 and the 2x2" focal extender from the US in one shipment.tbh as i think of it more i dont really need a massive field of view so the 25mm 100° will be an unecessary expense.if i get the 20/14/9 and barlow i will have 30/20/14/9 and 7/4.5 with the barlow which is enough.then sell the 18/14/8.8 and 6.7 82°

Of the ES100 range the 20 is the only one I haven't had the pleasure of looking through - the 9 and 14 in my f/10 SCT and a buddy's f/5 Dob were both excellent. As above, the weather largely conspired against me between buying the 25 and packing up to move half way around the world, so I think I managed to use it 2 or 3 times very briefly. My first impressions, from what I remember (the last few months have been a bit of a blur, SGL has been my rock LOL) were very good and nothing offensive jumped out at me in either of my SCTs (f/10 remember). It was easy to use and showed me the field stop willingly. I look forward to getting it out under these skies, as one of the only other things I really remember was that the sky glow was too much in my C8 (hence the brief usage so far) so the viewing conditions weren't ideal. It's going to be like getting a new EP all over again when it arrives

If I'm honest, part of the appeal was that it is unusual/new/rare, but also because I have the 17mm Ethos, so a 20/21 would have been a little too close in the range, 17 and 25 are more useful in the C11.

I have an ES 20mm 100. I'm very impressed by it despite being a Tele Vue junkie. It sits well between my 31mm Nagler and 13mm Ethos and performs very well in my fastest scope which is an F/5.3. At F/4.5 I might have thought harder about putting together the additional £300+ that an Ethos would have cost but I'd also be saving for a Paracorr too !

Like many, I was very interested in the ES 25mm 100 when it was announced and I've been scratching around for real information on how it performs, especially in faster scopes. Speaking personally, there is not enough information available at the current time to tempt me to part with the large number of readies and scour around for one to import.

the problem would be not just another £300 for an ethos it would be another £300 for each corresponding ethos(im after the 20/14/9mm 100 degree ep's) and tbh i cant justify the cost which would be more than double for the televue ep's over the explore scientific ep's so it would be cheaper just to get the parracorr and save £500 :)

It depends what you are trying to achieve... the 100s are bigger, heavier and pricier than any of the 82s (except 30!) but do give that extra wide FOV.

The difference in FOV (longer over shorter FL) between the 25(100) and the 30(82) is about 5%... the 20(100) and 30(82) is about 23%, the percentage changes from 20->14 and 14->9 are larger than that (42% and 56%). So it depends on whether you want to space out your FOV, EP focal lengths, get a wider FOV across the board or <insert here>

Dunk,

I am assuming you have a balance system on your C11 with that monster. I wish I had one to try, got the scope and the balance ADM but no eyepiece, I don't know what I could compare it with, the 26mm Nagler maybe. I would really need a faster scope to see any pitfalls though, I would not think our F10's will show any real defects.

Alan.

Alan, it seems like a long time ago but I don't recall even needing to rebalance as it was setup to handle the 30mm 82 deg model and the C11 is so back-end heavy. Typically when I'm using the "big gun" I seize the opportunity to use my heaviest eyepieces, and I don't think there's one in the bad boy box that's under 700g so it has widened the spread a little :eek: the NEQ6 seems to take it in its stride though :cool:

All this talk just brings me back to thinking about the upcoming ES100 30mm... :eek::D

Added: I do recall using the 25 with the C8 too, but the sky glow was so bad it didn't stay in the diagonal long, east Berkshire not being known for its dark skies... I did rebalance that time though, as I remember thinking the EP was 1/4 the weight of the OTA :eek:

Archived