Upgrades with £450

Please let us know how you get on with the EQ5 goto upgrade: how easy it is to install and how good it is in use. I am imaging with a 200P/EQ5 and this is on my list of possible upgrades (as is the option of getting a bigger, better mount).

I know you've spent your money now, but I have just bought the coma corrector for my 200P and that makes a big difference for imaging (haven't tried it for visual yet). I did need to get a different adaptor ring for my camera and a 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adaptor and an eyepiece enxtension tube, so the whole lot came to £175, but it does now mean i can get a nice wide-field 2" eyepiece next time I have money to spend.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please let us know how you get on with the EQ5 goto upgrade: how easy it is to install and how good it is in use. I am imaging with a 200P/EQ5 and this is on my list of possible upgrades (as is the option of getting a bigger, better mount).

I know you've spent your money now, but I have just bought the coma corrector for my 200P and that makes a big difference for imaging (haven't tried it for visual yet). I did need to get a different adaptor ring for my camera and a 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adaptor and an eyepiece enxtension tube, so the whole lot came to £175, but it does now mean i can get a nice wide-field 2" eyepiece next time I have money to spend.

I'll let you know and ill take pictures

funnily enough ive seen 2 eq5 synscan goto mounts on astrobuysell for less than 200 quid and all in great condition.i would even say you could sell the eq5 you had and buy an heq5 second hand for about 450 and still have a bit left to get a few ep,s

imaging with the eq5 and 200p is very limited as the mount is already at its max payload just with the tube attached,i upgraded my eq5 to a goto for exactly that reason and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to fit although at a cost of £300,the downside is the length of subs I could achieve which was only around 50-60 seconds and I was virtually bang on with my polar alignment.ive now gone down in size to a nice ed 100 ds pro scope and an st80 piggy backed onto it for guiding and the eq5 goto handles it all easily.

Archived