Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrades with £450

Hey guys

Was looking to buy a few upgrades for the my current setup or a nice new scope.

Currently I have a 200p on a manual EQ5 mount and a 130p AZ goto.

Any ideas what i should get or upgrade. Was thinking GOTO ug kit for the eq 5 and a few nice lenses not sure though.

Any input would be fantastic. /

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree with earl goto is a must but add on is a rip off..Davy

Ok cool. Well To be honest i am not to fussed for my 200p as its a bit big at time to lug about as i dont drive. What other scopes in the price range shuld i look at ?

A drive is good, but GOTO is a luxury and not a necessity.

That's about £70 spent. With the rest I'd get some decent eyepieces, the 200P is worth it.

Never actually thought of this . Was also looking at some Refractors

"possibly" want to get into ap makes it difficult. I started with a 200p on eq5 strictly visual but soon thought i'd like to dabble in ap so I bought dual axis motors for the eq5. decided that ap was the way I wanted to go so ended up buying an neq6 and am still using the 200p. really want to get an 80mm frac for imaging so realistically, I should sell the eq5+motors and the 200p. then I need to sort guiding out......and then and then and then... I would say that before you start buying gear for ap, try and go along with someone who images and see if it's what you like. Of course, many a fine image has been taken with an eq5 + 200p but you'll need to be prepared to throw a lot of subs away...good luck which ever way you go and I feel it would be wrong of me not to throw in the standard "get making every photon count" comment. It really is a very helpful book :)

Never actually thought of this . Was also looking at some Refractors

Could get the 80ED DS pro and a drive motor for the eq5 and you would have the start of an imaging setup. Not sure how stable that would be but for short exposures it could work?

narrr, scrub the ap idea,

thats for people who spend hours seting up their scope and cables, then click 'go' nd then hop off to bed. next morning they then spend hours staring frustrated at a computer screen to view an image you can get off google! and for that privilegde , they sink vast sums of money at kit that some of them have never actually 'looked' through!

spend your pennies on that second hand 12" dob you've alwys fancied and let them millions of years old galactic photons hit your eyebals!

note - to the ap guys n gals - what you do is witchcraft and mighty pretty, dont take the above to heart - i'm just jealous of your skills and patiencey

Second hand mount would do it. I'm sure you can get a HEQ5 for that much money... don't quote me though I've not looked to see how much they resell for.

Get a motor to try, and tell her it cost £450! Then stash the dosh somewhere she won't find it.

Evil laugh...

Get a motor to try, and tell her it cost £450! Then stash the dosh somewhere she won't find it.

Evil laugh...

I tried with my last scope lol. Was thinking possibly a EVOSTAR 150. Saving and get moters at the end of the month.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

If you are going to add a driven system then get the goto. The dual motors will move and follow but at 8x the move is agonisingly slow. Also if you got into it deeper then at some time you will want to upgrade to the goto anyway. So you may as well get it done and over with.

Additionally for any AP everything I read says get goto, the idea is that it aims the scope at the right object quickly, motors simply mean you don't have to release clutches etc. Then come the idea of guiding, again you more or less need the goto option, there are other ways but that would mean purchasing items so you may as well purchase the goto. Finally it is nice when someone is asking to show them how the scope will goto a selected object from the handset list.

Goto may not be necessary but neither is a radio in a car, nor heating, nor air-con, nor electric windows, nor power steering.

My question would be is the EQ5 solid enough for the 200p

for visual, eq5 is more than adequate... for imaging however, it's touch and go. you want zero wind, balanced perfectly for imaging and mountains of patience, but it certainly can be done and if I'm honest, I did enjoy imaging with this setup although after adding the neq6, I'm not sure I'd enjoy going back to it.

There is one situation where the motorised eq5 is ample, and thats when you stick your dslr straight on the mount, (no 200p). it'll track for ages depending on the lens length you're using. give it a go mate...

for visual, eq5 is more than adequate... for imaging however, it's touch and go. you want zero wind, balanced perfectly for imaging and mountains of patience, but it certainly can be done and if I'm honest, I did enjoy imaging with this setup although after adding the neq6, I'm not sure I'd enjoy going back to it.

There is one situation where the motorised eq5 is ample, and thats when you stick your dslr straight on the mount, (no 200p). it'll track for ages depending on the lens length you're using. give it a go mate...

I have just orderd a few things there.

EQ 5 goto UG Kit

and a ST 102T EQ1

the 102 is just for a pick up and go. Guys cheers for the help

Archived