Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Scope

Now it has arrived, I've officially become a refractor owner!

I now own a Skywatcher ED80 Pro (Gold Tube), bought second hand. When I get the chance, I'll post a brief write up, and hopefully get some pictures once my CF card reader arrives!

At the moment, first light is looking about a month off - I'm awaiting a delivery of a mount (AZ-4) for it from FLO, which should be in stock early August. But wow, those coatings give a lovely green reflection - one I'm used to seeing from my eyepieces!

Few things I need now:

The Mount (August)

2" Diagonal

1.25" to 2" Adapter

It's likely that the second two will have to wait until the end of this month.

its true that visually an 80mm scope will not blow you away. But I use an 80mm on an alt/az mount and it's surprisingly versatile. Quick to set up easy to operate great on the moon ok on planets and you can hit quite a few messiers especially from a dark site. I think you are going to love it.

A state of the art frac and ergonomically is gorgeous. Visually it will be fine and you're going to get some cracking views of Saturn, Jupiter, the Moon, the Sun (with correct filters) and nebulae like M17, M 42, M 20 and dozenss of doubles and clusters are also going to look really nice. As you're well aware the ED 80 might not have enough aperture to satisfy all your visual needs, but I imagine you already know that, for the ED 80 also seems to be the 'standard' for much APO work which you're showing a growing interest in. In the end, if we stick with this hobby, we always end up with more than one scope and I'm sure the ED 80 will keep the other very good company. Welcome to the frac club :smiley:

Help, I fall in both camps , loving the deep wide Dob use and the sharp contrasty views of refractors.

There's a campaign to convert Moonshane to refractorism at PSP, with some scopes .

In the meantime you'll thoroughly going to love using the 80 under

clear skies,

Nick.

Help, I fall in both camps , loving the deep wide Dob use and the sharp contrasty views of refractors.

There's a campaign to convert Moonshane to refractorism at PSP, with some scopes .

In the meantime you'll thoroughly going to love using the 80 under

clear skies,

Nick.

...you've got no chance Nick....

Archived