SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Northants

astrodam

Hi All at SGL, I have joined this forum due to always getting directed here when I google for info on my new found Astro Hobby. I have had my Skywatcher 150P EQ3 (motor driven) Newtonian since march and have spent as many clear nights as possible out in my garden learning how to use my scope, pointing it in the right direction and finding the really interesting objects that are all those billions of miles away with help from Sky at Night mag and Turn left at Orion. Its pretty cool to be able to recognise constellations and be able to amaze my wife and kids with my new found knowledge and views of the planets and distant clusters, although they may not say the same! :) I'm now looking to buy a DSLR soon so I can start imaging. I've already had a few pleasing attempts with my compact but now need more power! :) Hopefully I'll carry on finding good advice on here and can begin sharing from my own experiences of staring into night sky :) Would love to share my Planetary trio shot from the end of May but the file is too big, once I learn to compress my pics I'll share :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, astrodam, and welcome to SGL! That is a very capable scope you have there - especially if you have access to dark skies. Have you tried searching for any of the deeper sky objects yet? The Ring nebula in Lyra is well within the capabilities of your scope, is easy to find, and is a real 'wow' when seen. Probably a bit difficult at the moment with the skies being so light, but well worth a visit towards the end of August.

Martin

Wow! What a welcome! Thanks :) Quite a few of you out there. I have seen the ring nebula, the dumbbell nebula and a few other deep sky objects. I'm in a medium size town so a bit of LP makes some of them a challenge but I am amazed at how well averted vision works for some objects. From a LP map there appears to be some dark sites not to far from my town I have to try to find somewhere safe to stargaze from however because its a lot of expensive kit to lug around. I'd love to see and image the milky way some day.

Wow! What a welcome! Thanks :) Quite a few of you out there. I have seen the ring nebula, the dumbbell nebula and a few other deep sky objects. I'm in a medium size town so a bit of LP makes some of them a challenge but I am amazed at how well averted vision works for some objects. From a LP map there appears to be some dark sites not to far from my town I have to try to find somewhere safe to stargaze from however because its a lot of expensive kit to lug around. I'd love to see and image the milky way some day.

Light pollution in most of Northampton is pretty bad most of the time Astrodam, so I hope you have more luck wherever you are in Northants. I have found a few darker sites, such as around Salcey Forest / Harlestone Firs etc. but it's been a long time since I caught a glimpse of the Milky Way from Northants. All the best, Phil

Light pollution in most of Northampton is pretty bad most of the time Astrodam, so I hope you have more luck wherever you are in Northants. I have found a few darker sites, such as around Salcey Forest / Harlestone Firs etc. but it's been a long time since I caught a glimpse of the Milky Way from Northants. All the best, Phil

I'm hoping to find somewhere outside kettering/corby area by using the LP map and see how it goes and hopefully do some nightscape with a DSLR (yet to purchase a Canon 1100D). All I need now is time and clear skies - hopefully at the same time! :)

Archived