Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M57...tick!

dark_marc

Alright people, many thanks for all your advice.

I still have not found M27 BUT followed your suggestions I did have a look for M57 instead and after pretty much 15mins of browsing I did find some blurry-grey thing up there, which - with a lot of imagination - could well have been that ring nebula I was looking for.

First tried to find it following Vega, then moving down but must have taken the wrong exit somewhere since I could not find Sheliak.

Alright another try, this time I started at Albireo and moved the scope up, found Sulafat and started browsing to its upper right. And I found it :-)

I definetly need to move my scope out of the garden to some higher grounds or I try to get myself a black cape I use to hide under and block the light pollution in my garden...

Good ideas, also you will be amazed what difference a good eyepiece makes :-)

Good luck finding those other DSOs!

I can tell now, since I got those NPLs I am frequent guest at the Ring Nebular :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

darc_marc

If you need a finder map for M27, have a look at the article I wrote for my local astronomical society and observing group a couple of years ago : http://www.spogastro.co.uk/?page_id=117 the M27 article is listed under Messier Objects. if you want a larger version of the map, drop me a PM.

Jon

Hi Jon, many thanks, this link is simply brilliant. Like the google earth overlay showing light pollution. Gives me the right locations around and within 10 mins drive that appear to be LP-free.

Apparently yournwebsite will keep me busy over the next couple of weeks :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Glad to help :) You can also get to M27 from the Coathanger if that's easier. If you'd like to go on our observing meetings list, drop me a PM with your email address - we do meet at the eastern end of Salisbury Plain fairly regularly.

Jon

Archived